Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Christmas quilt for niece with dog who chews everything. >

Christmas quilt for niece with dog who chews everything.

Christmas quilt for niece with dog who chews everything.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:18 AM

I like the idea of a wall quilt. However, if the dog is chewing holes in walls, he might possibly be able to reach a quilt hanging on the wall, just depends on how big the quilt is and how big he is. Just something to think about.

Dogs chew for one of three main reasons (and sometimes a combination of all three): boredom, anxiety, habit. Spraying walls with deterrent won't help him if he is bored and/or anxious. He will just find another outlet for his frustration and lack of mental/physical stimulation. Perhaps in addition to a quilty gift, it would also be a good idea to get this relative the book "Don't Shoot the Dog" by Karen Pryor. Two other great books are "The Other End of the Leash" by Patricia McConnell and "Train Your Dog Like a Pro" by Jean Donaldson.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:19 AM

I like the idea of just asking her about her choice of what she wants.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by willferg View Post
Maybe talk to her – say you'd like to make her a quilt but know that she has problems with her dog chewing things, and would she like one anyway or would she like you to wait a few years till the dog has outgrown (!) the problem? At least it's a heads up that if you give her one, you don't want to see it chewed, and if she doesn't want to be responsible for keeping the quilt safe, she can say so since you are giving her an out.
You sure read my mind. This was exactly what I would suggest, too. You should let her know how much work goes into a quilt & that you aren't trying to slight her but don't feel a quilt is appropriate at this time. Further suggestions of wall quilts or runners are great ideas in my opinion. If you do go ahead with a quilt I'd sure make it a very easy one. Good luck.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Suzette316 View Post
Dogs chew for one of three main reasons (and sometimes a combination of all three): boredom, anxiety, habit. Spraying walls with deterrent won't help him if he is bored and/or anxious. He will just find another outlet for his frustration and lack of mental/physical stimulation. .
Exactly why I said in my explanation to offer appropriate alternative items for chewing such as raw beef marrow bone, Kong toy with treats (mental stimulation to get the greats out of the kong) and bully sticks. Not a fan of rawhide chews, these have also caused obstructions in the intestinal track. These alternatives will offer an outlet for the boredom/anxiety/habit chewing. Habit usually starts with teething too. All pups chew and need to chew when their adult teeth are coming in. Don't let your belongings become that outlet. Always offer appropriate alternatives and if you catch the dog in the act of inappropriate chewing, a strong "no" and offer of the alternative is all it should take for the dog to eventually "get it". If anxiety is the issue, crate training may be in order. The dog will then perceive to have a safe den to retreat to.
My screen name may be feline fanatic but I have had large breed canines all my life. I presently have a 100+ lb shiloh shepherd female and 10 week shiloh shepherd puppy that is expected to get even bigger than my female.
Training is a must when you end up with a full grown dog that weighs as much as a full grown human.

There was just a story in Connecticut about a pit bull attacking its owner and chewing both her hands off! Horrible story. All the more reason to ensure you neice really makes an effort to train her dog. Pits with unkown history and breeding can be a ticking time bomb.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 11-16-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:21 AM

I agree with previous posters ... once given, let go ... make something the dog can't reach ... give a easy scrappy throw with fusible patches to press on holes. However, IMHO too much money and time go into a quilt for it to be destroyed. I would say, " I would like to make a quilted item for you. Would you like a wall quilt, table mats or runner, purse, or bag for carrying things (or anything else you might like to make)." Then use her answer as your guide. If she mentions a larger quilt, you could say that you are hesitant to do that with the dog's chewing problem and perhaps you could make one after the chewing is eliminated.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:35 AM

What a smart idea!
Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
If you make the quilt with polar fleece, it'll at least stand a chance. Maybe instead of a traditional quilt, you could make it in a rag-quilt fashion (but without clipping the seams). If it does get destroyed, at least it won't be a catastrophic loss.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:41 AM

Do NOT soak the quilt in pepper spray! You could cause severe damage to the dog and any human who comes into contact with the quilt and gets the pepper oil on their hands/mouths (Kids chew too). You could recommend a nice positive trainer, if you're so inclined. Dogs chew. That's no secret. The trick is giving them appropriate chew toys instead of your stuff.
I agree with the wall hanging or table runner/placemat idea. I understand your concern but if you do a bed quilt the odds of you having any control over it once it's gifted are nil. Either let it go or work around the dog.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:19 AM

I have a 3 year old lab. As a puppy she checked everything with her mouth. The vet recommended a green apple spray available at Petsmart. It taste horrible.(I tasted it.) It won't hurt anything it is sprayed on and no smell. But the dog can sure taste it. We used it on our grandchildren's arms and hands. She quit trying to chew on everything in sight. When she found it on the coffee table she liked to chew on she sat and howled. But she didn't chew on anything after she tasted that stuff on it. I used less than the 1 bottle I bought. I would spray the quilt with the spray and give her the rest of the bottle.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Make and give the gift with love...and then let go.

Really all you can do!!
I agree with Sewnoma. It's up to her if it's important enough to keep away from the dog, but at least you didn't exclude her.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:58 PM

I think there has been plenty of good suggestions from other posters on the subject so I would also like to say that treating everyone fairly doesn't always mean the SAME. Gifting her a full pieced quilt when you know that the chances aren't very good it will not be chewed on is to me just setting yourself up for disappointment to start with.
The table runner and/or placemats or a nice tote or purse is being fair and maybe if you see that the dog is no longer chewing then you can give her a Christmas quilt in the future.
Also I assume that this is the daughter of your sibling? Maybe you can also mention to your sibling your feelings so that if it comes up in family talk there will be someone else who can know why...just my thoughts