Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Christmas Wish List >

Christmas Wish List

Christmas Wish List

Old 11-24-2017, 04:59 AM

Default Christmas Wish List

My family is doing a secret santa this year and I have to come up with at least 5 things on my list. I think I already own everything but what is the tool/notion you can't live without? It can be a little pricey....Not sure what to ask for..... Thanks!
Old 11-24-2017, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

DSM rulers and ruler foot
Old 11-24-2017, 06:06 AM

Machinger gloves for FMQ work.

Watson
Old 11-24-2017, 07:10 AM
KLO

Titanium sewing machine needles. They are the best! One can keep the price down by buying only one pack or buy more to meet one's maximum dollar limit. And of course there is always a need for thread.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
Machinger gloves for FMQ work.

Watson
I've heard that "garden gloves" with the rubberized dots also work well. (I don't know - I've never used either.)

What I found helpful when doing SITD quilting - those rubber "finger tips" found at/in office supply stores.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:17 AM

If it can be pricey I'd go for the rulers and ruler foot as well, but that's just me! Good luck and enjoy the surprises!
Old 11-24-2017, 07:20 AM

Rip Tweezers is my all time favorite ripping tool. I thought it pricey the first time I bought them, but OMG....they are so worth the $10.00. I prefer a ripper with a small end that will squeeze into small stitches. Hobby Lobby has these for a couple of dollars. They are the same that come in the Brother and Babylock machines. The Rip Tweezer has this smaller blade with the tweezers attached. The first time I needed to turn the ripper around and use the tweezers to pull out a piece of thread that I couldn't get with my fingernails, I was hooked. http://www.riptweezer.com/
Old 11-24-2017, 07:22 AM

The garden gloves work pretty well, but IMO Machingers are the best - I think they grip better. I like them better than the finger cots you're talking about too, Bear - those make my fingers sweat, but the Machingers let a little more air in. I just wish the tips didn't end up so 'grubby' looking - they tend to pick up dye pretty easily for some reason and I'm afraid washing them would damage them.

Things to ask for..hmmm! Rotary blades, Purple Thang, good thread, spare bobbins... What about things like those Peels or other bobbin keeper type thingies? Clover clips - I can never have too many of those... Ott lamp? Gypsy Sit-upon? What about something decorative for your sewing room like one of those clocks that look like sewing machines? Or a sewing-related sign, maybe? A teapot or Keurig just for the sewing room? A heated footrest, for when you're doing handwork on winter days? A heated shoulder wrap for when you've done a bit too much quilting?

Are there any books you've had a hankering for? A particular pattern, maybe?
Old 11-24-2017, 07:55 AM

I'm loving this idea. REsearching now. Have never done it before so I have to be sure I am ordering the right foot and starter ruler set. I have Janome mc6600.

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
If it can be pricey I'd go for the rulers and ruler foot as well, but that's just me! Good luck and enjoy the surprises!
Old 11-24-2017, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I've heard that "garden gloves" with the rubberized dots also work well....
i use these. they cost about a dollar at walmart. i do have to take them off to rethread, etc. i've seen some folks cut off the finger tips for this.