Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Circuit machine -- what do you like about it? >

Circuit machine -- what do you like about it?

Circuit machine -- what do you like about it?

Old 09-28-2022, 08:34 AM

Default Circuit machine -- what do you like about it?

I am curious, thinking about getting a Circuit and would like to know why I need one and what you like about yours.
Old 09-28-2022, 12:36 PM

I bought a Cricut several years ago. I don't use it as often as I thought I would. I have never cut fabric with it. I am disappointed that I can't make stencils for iron on crystals. I think the other brand allows you to do this. The "free" design software is very basic. It seems like if you want any designs beside basic shapes, you have to pay.

So far I have been able to make stencils from butcher paper to paint on fabric. I think the product itself is good (except for making the stencils for crystals). I just don't use it as much as I thought I would.

If you want to cut fabric, people have had very good luck with the Accucut system. Good luck. I hope you find what you need.
Old 09-28-2022, 01:02 PM
Power Poster

The LQS has classes on Scan and Cut and they always make craft projects or vinyl decals. I don't see many fabric uses. The fabric die cut machines are for cutting a lot of fabric shapes. I have the Accuquilt system. Expensive but saves me hours of cutting time. I rely on it so much I bought a spare when it Accuquilt had the great inventory sales before the company was sold.
Old 09-28-2022, 04:04 PM

img_20220608_161128437.jpgimg_20220630_074022922_hdr.jpg
I have an explore air 2 and I love it. I bought it to make stencils for pillows. I use pro chemical fabric paint with the stencils. I've made tshirts, cards, and cut outs for things. I have also done cutouts for the Grands to color. I absolutely love mine and highly recommend it.
Old 12-18-2022, 05:08 PM

Smile

I have used my Cricut to cut out patterns for appliques. I feel it wastes too much to cut much else.
Old 12-20-2022, 06:51 AM

I purchased the Brother Scan and Cut - the model to cut fabric. Right after purchase, we moved so I've not had a minute to play with it. I liked that it does not require a computer. It literally "scans" and "cuts" with a special blade for fabric. I have watched a tutorial by Power Tools with Thread and she makes a great tutorial using the Scan and Cut. It looks like she uses her machine for applique work. We are working on sewing room - hopefully I'm up and running soon! Hope this helps.
Old 12-20-2022, 08:18 AM

LOL- I've done just like Still Sew N! I upgraded to the new Scan N Cut that will do fabric, took a class on it and have not used it since. Maybe it would be a good thing to play with over the Holiday weekend. No family lives close enough to visit, so it will just be DH and I will lots of free time.
Old 12-21-2022, 08:48 PM

I love mine but I don’t use it for quilting. I make tee shirts with fun sayings, or I buy svg files off Etsy to design tee shirts to wear at Disney or for my girls’ favorite fandoms. I also use it to make name labels for water bottles and such. It’s very fun but has a bit of a learning curve.
Old 12-22-2022, 07:59 AM

Default Do not use!

Originally Posted by salsews View Post
I am curious, thinking about getting a Circuit and would like to know why I need one and what you like about yours.
I have had my Cricut for 2 years and never used it. I am not really computer savy . I bought all the tools, joined the classes, and all the books I thought would help. Then foolishly I bought the small Joy to make labels etc and do not use it either, I am using the stripology ruler instead.
Old 12-24-2022, 03:24 AM

Default Epp

I use mine mainly for paper crafts. It’s great for cutting shapes for EPP. You can buy svg files from Etsy and make almost any Epp pattern you want. I cut Smitten, Tula Nova and some New Hexagon patterns.
I have cut fabric but it is slow. I would recommend using it for appliqué, not piecing where you have to cut many of the same pieces.
my DIL uses it to cut stencils. It would be good for cutting templates also.
There is a learning curve. Not a bad thing, it’s good to challenge yourself sometimes. Keeps the mind active.