Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Class problems >

Class problems

Class problems

Old 10-30-2019, 06:49 PM

We are more alike than not. Great advice. I just want to learn when I take a new class. Oh the joy of accomplishing that one thing .. to learn a new skill!
Old 10-31-2019, 02:38 AM

In just 12 days I am to take a Bonnie Hunter class. I've waited for about 3 years for this day to come and am a little nervous that I will totally make an idiot out of myself. Once in college I froze up during a statistics test and left the room in tears.

When I found out I had actually gotten into the class, I bought the book and began making the quilt. I just wanted to develop some skills and look like I knew what I was doing. I hated the finished product, so I put it in with some others in a sale and someone else liked it and bought it. (I'm not fond of dull blue and mediocre brown together.) So I felt that I should make another one. It turned out great as I had changed the colors to lavender and green, I had acquired some skills, and thing went much better.

It looked like I was on a roll. I saw another (Smith Mountain Morning) on Pinterest in red. Quilted Twins was offering a half yard bundle in red, so I made another. That made three but oh dear nothing to sew in the class. Since they are so much fun to make, I decided to make a green one.

Disaster! Since I was shopping in my stash, I had chosen two fabrics that clashed. And they were already cut out. Even though I am on the fabric moratorium, I was forced to make a quick trip to Zinck's in Ligonier. Now this one will have to be tarnished gold, greens with yellow/beige neutral.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:55 AM

Yea, not keen on taking classes...lectures on techniques..yes....dragging my sewing machine etc is not my idea of fun.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:10 AM

I took classes from a very well known instructor - she would demo the step, then shoot us off to our machines and give a prize to the first one completed. Talk about pressure!!!! The typical quicksters won the prizes, but for those of us that were there to learn got frustrated. I was about in the middle of the pack. But, my little neighbor said she would never take another class from her again.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:12 AM

All of this is normal... we are all “wired” differently as someone said - we are individuals who learn and work in many different ways. Its just important for each of us to figure out what works for us and not be hesitant about being us wherever we are.

I started quilting in 1995 knowing nothing. Period. My LQS owner (bless her heart) took me under her wing, guiding me with beginner projects that i could accomplish on my own then bring back to the shop at certain points for review by non-critical but constructive eyes. She encouraged me to check out the local guild - very intimidating for me especially having been exposed to a snooty few as i frequented the LQS. but at least i had been exposed to the reality ahead of time so i could sufficiently protect my little newbie feelings. I met some kindred spirits, took some classes... but i was always pretty much the last one done (if at all) even as my skills progressed.

At some point the lightbulb just kinda went on for me. I am a “process” person. My enjoyment of quilting is the putzing around maybe on a single block (yes, maybe even all day sewing with friends)! For me i want to enjoy and immerse myself in every part - enjoying looking at the colors, improving some skill at my own pace, getting excited when those first blocks somehow magically appear on the design wall (no thanks to me sometimes!). So my only goal is definitely not just getting the quilt done and once i realized that and just let myself enjoy where i was at it was really liberating! My skills have grown so much since i started quilting (thank goodness) but more importantly for me is the joy i experience just doing my thing. I finish a lot of quilts these days but on nobodys schedule but my own. I purposely dont put myself on deadlines - quilting is my “happy place” - so ok, i know how to turn that baby quilt into something maybe a little larger if time marches by and its not done!

I dont go to many classes these days but i do take online instruction. By the way i was also a teacher at my LQS for many years... and saw many people just like me who maybe werent so goal oriented and encouraged them to build their skills slowly on an as needed basis and let their joy and feeling of accomplishment motivate them.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:05 AM

Since when is quilting a timed event anyway? You went to class to learn a technique, which you obviously did because you were able to duplicate what you learned at home! I'm never as comfortable working in class as I am at home either but as long as I learned something in the class, I am happy. Please don't fall into the trap of thinking everything has to be some kind of competition, it will take away your joy of your own progress!
Old 10-31-2019, 06:33 AM

I am slow in class situations and do just fine at home. Although I can multitask, it seems that all the activity, sharing of pressing areas, machine hiccups (both mine and classmate) and trying to listen to every word of the instructor and see around numerous classmates gathered to learn the next step.....all while trying to sew that first set of pieces together is daunting. Taking all the above activity going on in class, oh, and not let's forget the food and drink. What I have learned is: Get good instructions prior to class. Piece as much as you can at home. Cut out, starch/press, your pieces before class. Have all of your tools organized for that class. Take a digital recorder and get permission to place it and use it where the instructor is conducting the class.(Tie a bright ribbon on your car keys so you don't forget to get the recorder off the table) Take your own small iron and pad. Take your own lunch so you can get right back to sewing, rather than going off campus. Ha! Doing these things will give you breathing space and you will be more relaxed. Don't be worrying about what you left at home...a tool, needles, etc. Most quilters don't mind sharing. Mark all of your tools with your name or bright colored tape or ribbon, so you are not worrying about your stuff. Take a cushion or sit upon so you are comfortable in the chair provided. Don't forget a power strip and extension cord. Also be prepared to tell the novice who sat down next to you, "I'm sorry, but I am struggling to keep up with the teacher, I cannot stop and help you, you need to ask the instructor to help you". I have had so many classes where someone who has NEVER quilted before decided to take the class and sit next to me and now wants me to be their mentor. I actually had a classmate that had never used a sewing machine until the day of class....Where is there another vacant space, please? Hope this helps for your next class.... Do some of these suggestions and then you can focus like you are at home.

Last edited by Lady Diana; 10-31-2019 at 06:40 AM.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:41 AM

Great reply, Lady Diana! I especially like the part about the novice quilter. Thanks.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

Lady Diana - excellent suggestions -

I did attend a couple of classes with a friend that just kept talking and talking and talking - awkward situation.

My learning skills vary from "catch on fast" to "please go over that again - in very slow motion" .
Old 10-31-2019, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

A few weeks ago I got a last minute cancellation spot for David Taylor's class starting the next morning, Be there at 9 am and only need to bring sewing machine as kits were being sold once there. That's all I knew. I had no idea what we were doing or making. If I had stressed over how the class would be I wouldn't have gone and missed out on a wonderful day. Stress and fretting takes joy out of anything. I have taken Bonnie Hunter classes several times. I only finished one block in each class because I was more interested in being in the moment and taking in all the good stuff going on around me then focusing on making a lot of quilt blocks.

I always go extra early to find a good spot on the end so I only have one person on one side of me. And if I bring my own portable sewing table and extension reel I have always been allowed on my own if I want. And I always bring a back up machine and leave in the car. It has saved me and other class members day at times.

Last edited by Onebyone; 10-31-2019 at 07:09 AM.