Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Classes >

Classes

Classes

Old 01-31-2013, 05:08 PM

I always loved watching my Grandma quilt and made my first quilt when I was 16. Thank goodness for the internet, because I have learned soooooo much from multiple sources. My favorite discovery last year is www.missouriquiltco.com.

Go to Youtube and do a search for Missouri Star Quilt Company. OMG! I think I've made at least a dozen quilts from Jenny's tutorials. Her early tutorials cover a lot of quilting lingo, which might be good for a true beginner. She is so entertaining to watch and LOVES her quilting projects. I love to make baby quilts and use her ideas for several of the quilts I've donated to Project Linus.

There are tons of other great tutorials online, but Jenny from the Missouri Star Quilt Company has to be the best!
Old 01-31-2013, 06:41 PM

Definitely, you learn new techniques and new ways of doing things that can improve your skills
Old 01-31-2013, 06:48 PM

check out the Craftsy classes, the free BOM class will help you a lot and you can watch it all you want
Old 01-31-2013, 07:09 PM

Missouri Star Quilting tutorials are wonderful. I've learned a lot that way.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:54 PM

You can learn bussels of information on this board. I made notes the first three months which i review once in awhile. You can also learn from all the youtubes and the tutorials from here. I have sewed all my life but only quilted for about 5 yrs. I learned a lot on this board.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:08 PM

Thank you so much for the information. I have been reading and looking and checking out what everyone is working on. I have added all my projects I have done at least with fabric in my profile. The project I am working on is a mess but with the help from the board I will beat the quilt.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by omgtimmcgraw View Post
As a new quilter been quilting for just over two years. What stuff I do know my birth mother teaches me and helps me with. Me and my husband was talking today about when we come back from my brothers wedding about looking into finding me a place to go and get some classes so I can learn thing more and maybe be able to get my quilts to line up better.

Was wondering is it worth the money to take classes or try to find a group? I am unsure in what I should do. Any suggestions
Have you checked out all the tutorials on this board? You might get as much or more help here than in a couple classes.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:06 AM

Cutting accurately and sewing a perfect 1/4" seam are the biggest keys for me. There's an incredible amount of information on the web, and I sure wish I'd had such videos when i learned to sew in the late 60's. This Board has lots of good info. Just post for help if needed. I'd suggest taking a class at a local quilt shop (LQS) for a simple pattern, and see if you can visit a few quilt guilds to see if they are welcoming and have some open sewing days. Some guilds only have meetings, no fun sewing. Enjoy!
Old 02-01-2013, 12:49 AM

I haven't check out the tutorials yet. I must say I getting better at the 1/4 seam. But I do need to slow down when u sew. My birth mother was in town for the day and she was showing me what I was doing wrong on my current quilt at everything is lining up. She was showing about pressing the seams in different directions which I am really bad about doing. So now I get to take out what I have sewed together and follow her directions and go slow and pin and it will work out.