Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cleaned my machine, help >

Cleaned my machine, help

Cleaned my machine, help

Old 01-22-2018, 03:47 PM

Default Cleaned my machine, help

Cleaned my machine & changed my needle, not sure what I've done. Stitches look ok but if I gently tug on thread it comes out. Seems like my bobbin spins too fast. Have cleaned twice, re-threaded, changed needle still the same. What can I try next.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:05 PM

See if you did something to the bobbin area, oiled it wrong, bobbin not threaded correctly, etc. Just some ideas.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:06 PM

What machine do you have? Did you leave out a bobbin case perhaps? Did you accidentally change the bobbin tension?

Is the bobbin wound correctly? If the thread is squishy on the bobbin, that can cause problems. Try re-winding a new one or even a pre-wound bobbin. Re-insert bobbin and re-thread machine again.

Good luck!
Old 01-22-2018, 05:18 PM

If the bobbin thread doesn't get engaged (into the thread guide and up for pickup) it will come off the bobbin but not under any tension, so it will end up like that.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by GEMRM View Post
If the bobbin thread doesn't get engaged (into the thread guide and up for pickup) it will come off the bobbin but not under any tension, so it will end up like that.
Yes I think that is my problem. Won't play with it anymore tonight. I wind a new bobbin tomorrow and try again. I just filled two bobbins today to try bottom line thread. Maybe my Juki 600 doesn't like that thread.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:08 PM

Put a dark colored thread on top and a light colored thread in the bobbin and sew a medium zig-zag stitch. That will help you determine if the top thread or the bottom thread needs to be adjusted. Here's a link that might help with adjusting the tensions. http://shesasewingmachinemechanic.bl...o-balance.html
Old 01-23-2018, 06:20 AM

I recently started using bottom line exclusively, and I had to tighten the tension on my bobbin case. I use a different bobbin case for bottom line now. I love the bottom line, it has sure made a difference in piecing.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by true4uca View Post
Cleaned my machine & changed my needle, not sure what I've done. Stitches look ok but if I gently tug on thread it comes out. Seems like my bobbin spins too fast. Have cleaned twice, re-threaded, changed needle still the same. What can I try next.
Well I was so focused on my bobbin but that wasn't the problem. After putting a different colour thread in bobbin I could easily see it's the top thread. It seems to be draging on something. Guess it's time for the repair shop. I'm reallly tempted to take the cover off myself. Just to look is $125+ and may take several weeks& of course no Juki dealer nearby.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:01 PM

I would take that cover off and at least inspect it. A tiny piece of thread in the upper area costs me $125. Now I know how to get that top off and check it myself. I have two Brother sewing machines and a couple of older Singers. It sounds to me like you don't have any tension on your thread. Have you checked your tension discs. I have seen it recommended that you floss the tension discs with dental floss. Haven't tried it myself.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:40 PM

Which Juki do you have? The semi-industrial Juki's (98Q, 2000, 2010Qi, etc.) have a circuit board attached at the top. And they have oil holes at the top, so you don't need to take the top off. They also have 2 upper tensions on the outside of the machine, that can be adjusted.

The domestic Jukis are pretty easy to work with. They actually have service panels that come off the top and bottom.

It could be a piece of something in the upper tension. I know everyone thinks that if the stitch isn't right, it's the tension. Usually it's not. It could be a bad needle, bad thread, burr on the hook or needle plate, piece of crud on the race, timing is a little off, etc.

I hope you're able to get it sewing.