Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Virtual Quilting Weekend--January 19-21, 2018

Virtual Quilting Weekend--January 19-21, 2018

Welcome to VQW a day early! Since I'm quilting today I thought I would go ahead and start the thread in case anyone else is "celebrating" the cold by staying inside and working. I'm finishing a couple 2017 BOMs blocks and assembling the tops. I like to accumulate tops and then finish several at once Saturday is our guild Sew-In so I'll be quilting with lots of friends. I hope many of you are able to join this weekend.

Next VQW is February 16-18.
    Heather

Thank you, Heather! I'm in! I am working on some blocks for the Summertime swap as I try to ignore the cold outside. I hope to finish the fourth set and start on my fifth set if all goes to plan.
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

I will definitely be quilting. I'm working on log cabin blocks as well as a sample for my next Modern Club meeting.
    Lori

I'm in! But then I quilt most weekends.

I've been working on my "Catch me if you Can" quilt. I did some sewing and then decided I wanted to get all the pieces cut as I've got limited yardage of some colors and wanted to make sure I had enough for the stars and could substitute in the other areas.

I had planned on working on my Crazy Quilt (going on year 3 now) for the VQW this month, but I've got the fabric for CMIYC quilt spread all over and need to deal with that first. I also have a king size quilt on the LA. I had planned on using it to practice FMQ feathers, but now I'm intimidated by that thought - but if I don't practice, I will never get good. This quilt is for my bedroom, so it's not that big of a deal about being super nice. IE - no one ever comes to visit so no one will ever see it lol!
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Will spend a few hours each day getting some stitching done, I hope. For sure I am big stitch quilting on my scrappy hexies, but also hope to get back at some machine stitching. Name:  Scrappy Blue Hexie Aug 2017002 (Small).JPG
Views: 1199
Size:  73.8 KB Didn't take a new picture, as not much has changed on it since August....

This is what I'll be working on. I will be making four more of the corn and tomatoes block to be swapped out and I'll be finishing up the last bits of applique on the Sam blocks.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's work!
    Attached Images Attached Images

We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Blog Entries
    Will be working on log cabin cross that I’ve just started for my FIL.

Blog Entries
    guess what this is that i'm working on
    Name:  20180117 flimsy.bmp
Views: 1237
Size:  1.19 MB
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I'm in Heather. I have a couple of projects that need attention.
    We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves. Buddha

A few minutes at the machine before we head out to bowl... Hope I can get enough of this stabilized this weekend to bind it, and then go back in and do more machine quilting. Name:  Peacock 2017001 (Small).JPG
Views: 1149
Size:  68.9 KB

I have nearly all the blocks done for my "Masonry" that was made in EQ5 last May. There is some fabric coming from Missouri Star in a few days, and I want to include it.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

We've got some nice projects going on this VQW!

Here is what I've been up to. I cut 3.5" strips of each of the 24 fabrics, then lay out the paper and go color by color (ok - usually five at a time) and cut the pieces and lay them were they go. Way faster than doing one paper peice at a time.
    This is 8 "s" curve pieces that use triangles, so all the fabric is cut the same.

Took two days (before and after work) to get to this point. Then I pick them up in the order they would be sewn, and put in bags. I decided I'm going to get all the cutting done and then get to sewing.

This is what I already have done. I did these and then started on the next group - and that was when I decided to get all the cutting done instead of cutting and sewing one group at a time.

here is a link showing the pattern.

https://www.equilter.com/product/183...iecing-pattern
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

I'm in as well! Not sure which project will get priority at this time. Cathy, great start on CMIYC - I love JdJ patterns!
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

Cathy, I love looking at your detailed photos each VQW! You are always so busy and doing something new.

I really like your log cabin cross, marjben!

Thimblebug, those quilt colors remind me of peacock feathers. Looking forward to seeing your quilting!

I ended up taking a nap this afternoon, so so far no sewing done yet today. Hopefully this evening I will find a moment!

I’m in as well! Love these VQW. I like to see everyones progress. I plan to work on my BHMQ. I have 5 of 25 blocks finished. I’m working slow on these because I am working on other projects as well. This weekend I will be at our monthly Quilts For Kids workshop. I will be working on donation quilts.
    Denise

You do not simply stumble upon the happy life.....you make it!

I'm in for another great weekend! And next VQW I'll be sewing along because I'll be at retreat - but I won't be able to post for that one until I get home.

This weekend I have to pack for a retreat on Monday, but in the meantime, I'm fixing my On Ringo Lake (just couldn't live with some of the missing points). Then I'll check my UFO list and see what I can work on that won't interfere with the retreat plans. Maybe I'll get Winding Ways back up on the wall and finish it off, and finish binding my January UFO. Oh, and I did promise 2 quilts for a friend before I leave Monday, so those need to get queued up on the longarm.

Great projects already started! I'm plodding along with On Ringo Lake and am working on the Aloha Ripple quilt along. I'm also finishing up a string quilt that just needs an outer binding. My goal is to get several blocks made for ORL by the end of the weekend. I'm sick of it, but do want to finish it.

Cathy, love the colors and pattern!

I finished two tops today so am slowly making progress
    Heather

NZ quilter, yes it is my Peacock quilt, so glad the colours reminded you of it.

I am loving all the pictures, thanks for posting everyone.

Blog Entries
    Big project this week is to complete the door that leads from the apricot bathroom to the quilting rooms, thus eliminating the need to go outside to get there. It's an old doctors office and just goes on and on.

Then I did get my long arm mentor to come over and adjust the laser. It had a piece of tape over the end. No wonder if would not show up. Goal is to finish the commissioned lap quilt by Sunday.

Marcia

I will join in tomorrow night and Saturday. I will be assembling my BHMQ blocks. I only did 1/3 of the clues so I am thinking I will have 13 -15 blocks. I plan to use them in the middle of a quilt.

Connie

Macybaby your project is incredible I can't wait to see the progress you make on it this weekend!

I'm planning on making a couple of table toppers this weekend, I should have one completed tomorrow.

Jan

I'll join with you all mid-afternoon tomorrow. I promised to go to the movies with DH tomorrow and we are going to the early show. I'll be working on Stars & Stripes patriotic quilt for vet reunion raffle donation. I picked up the appliqué fabric today from the Road to Calif quilt show (which was amazing, btw)... Fused and cut appliqués so I am ready to turn under and machine appliqué on background fabric after I cut it. I need to finish a UFO sock monkey (he's currently armless) too.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Yay, it's that time again! I have a couple of small quilts that need quilting... or maybe I will sandwich a hand quilting project. I don't know what, but I'll be working on something along with you because it's too cold to be outside. So... definitely something.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm in--have a little wall hanging to bind (I'll post later) and teaching 7 hrs of beginner quilt class on Sat. I'm also in process of piecing my "version" of BH mystery quilt--I basically gave up when I got stuck figuring out which Accuquilt dies to use and then that I didn't have all of them--so I'm using a few my blocks I made and making it into a modern quilt--maybe! Plus have 6 ready to quilt.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast