Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cleaning the bobbin area >

Cleaning the bobbin area

Cleaning the bobbin area

Old 07-15-2016, 04:58 AM
Power Poster

Default Cleaning the bobbin area

I take the needle plate off, and disassemble the drop in bobbin area. I poke my tiny brush into any and all crevasses I can find and clean the feed dogs. It probably takes me 10 minutes. I am always shamed when someone says they clean the bobbin area with every bobbin change. I am just impatient to get back sewing (or maybe lazy!). It takes so long, so I do this every 2nd bobbin change, and just brush out the case & hook area on the alternate changes.
Recently I have found that several of my fellow quilters consider my quick brush out version 'cleaning the bobbin area'. They seldom take the plate off, like maybe at the end of a project or if they break a needle.
Just curious how you define 'cleaning the bobbin area' and how often you do it.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:09 AM

Every time I change the bobbin. I don't think all those fuzzies are good for my machine.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:21 AM

If not every bobbin change then every couple bobbin changes, I take the whole area apart (as much as possible) and clean out the lint. Remove needle plate and I too go into as any little holes as I can with a brush. Occasionally use a mini vacumn to give a deeper cleaning. I miss the days when I could get into the "inners" of the machine to really feel like I have given it a good cleaning.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

I try to clean and oil my baby every Sunday but I am not always good at keeping that schedule. I too "am just impatient to get back sewing (or maybe lazy!)".
Old 07-15-2016, 06:05 AM

I consider how you describe it --taking off the plate - as cleaning out the bobbin area.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:11 AM

Well I'm really lazy I guess because I only take mine all apart after a project or even 2 if they are small. I clean out the bobbin area without removing the face plate every 1 to 2 bobbins and I use the "bushier" pipe cleaners (only white so it's easier to see the lint) plus a tiny brush. I use Aurifil or Presencia which my Babylocks love, and never have a lot of lint. Now if I'm using a material like Minky or flannel I clean thoroughly more often.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:47 AM

I clean mine every second bobbin also. Don't need to overdo it either. LOL
We're doing fine.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:34 AM

On my quilting machine I clean out and oil after every bobbin change. After every project is done I take off the needle plate and give it a really good cleaning and oiling. On my regular sewing machines I'm not as faithful in the cleaning out (no oiling on these) but I'm trying to do a better job and more often since getting back into sewing again.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

I clean mine at the end of a sewing job. If I am doing a lot if FMQ, every time I fill the bobbin. I use my little brush first on the bobbin area and under the needle plate. Then I use a pipe cleaner to pick up the last few hidden fuzzies.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:39 AM

On my one machine with the drop in bobbin, I pull out the bobbin case and clean after every bobbin. I only pull the needle plate a couple times a month, unless I notice build up around the feed dogs.

My other machines all have vertical bobbins and are a little less finicky than the drop in bobbin. My main quilter, the PQ1500s gets a quick brush out when I change the bobbin if I think about it, or if I notice lint build up. I pull the needle plate twice a month and clean that area when I oil the machine. Same with the VX560 and the Featherweight.

Rob<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>