Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cleaning fabrics >

Cleaning fabrics

Cleaning fabrics

Old 06-19-2009, 10:18 AM

shake everything out (outside of course) to get the loose stuff off before washing
Be sure to wear a mask while cleaning up. And be sure to disinfect everything. You need to be careful of hantavirus. Anything that puts you in contact with fresh rodent urine, droppings, saliva or nesting materials can place you at risk for infection.

Here's a link http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/h...frames/FAQ.htm

There are also suggestions for cleaning up.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

Henry, we live in the middle of the woods and I'm sure there are mice out there!
DH goes to the farm and garden and gets some kind of round balls of rat poison, and yes I know some on here will probably hate this, . he places the balls under the house about every 3 months. We also have outside cats. the doors to the underside of the house are closed and no animals can get in. Haven't seen a mouse inside in years and believe me I look!! The balls last a long time!

Now about that material, I know that you feel it is just filthy and I'm sure it is a little contaminated, however I think just washing it in real hot water with Tide will be fine1 And like someone said, there are more germs on our money that on anything else! I'm sure you wouldn't throw your money away! LOL Most of the ideas of germs are all in our head and It's hard to thing about using that material right now. So put it away in your tubs for a few months, by then you'll be over it! LOL

Good Luck!
Old 06-19-2009, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
shake everything out (outside of course) to get the loose stuff off before washing
Be sure to wear a mask while cleaning up. And be sure to disinfect everything. You need to be careful of hantavirus. Anything that puts you in contact with fresh rodent urine, droppings, saliva or nesting materials can place you at risk for infection.

Here's a link http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/h...frames/FAQ.htm

There are also suggestions for cleaning up.
Thanks for the info!!!!
Old 06-19-2009, 11:34 AM
Power Poster

I honestly don't think it's necessary to disinfect or bleach the fabric in any way. If you wash it normally and then either dry it in a dryer or hang it outside in the sun, that should be enough. The bleach and disinfectants are used when cleaning surfaces. See the website below.

It's *very* important to wear a mask because of the airborne virus, and also to wear rubber gloves. Try not to stir up any "dust" while cleaning.

Here is the website I found:
http://www.tendlife.com/cats/and-dogs-0852.html

And here is the excerpt specifically related to cleaning clothing and sheets:
"Take bedding or clothing outside and either gently roll the droppings off or pick them off with rubber gloves -- do not shake them off! Then wash the bedding or clothing as regular laundry and dry them in a dryer or hang them outside in bright sunlight. Clothes worn while cleaning mouse infestation can be handled in the same manner. "
Old 06-19-2009, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I honestly don't think it's necessary to disinfect or bleach the fabric in any way. If you wash it normally and then either dry it in a dryer or hang it outside in the sun, that should be enough. The bleach and disinfectants are used when cleaning surfaces. See the website below.

It's *very* important to wear a mask because of the airborne virus, and also to wear rubber gloves. Try not to stir up any "dust" while cleaning.

Here is the website I found:
http://www.tendlife.com/cats/and-dogs-0852.html

And here is the excerpt specifically related to cleaning clothing and sheets:
"Take bedding or clothing outside and either gently roll the droppings off or pick them off with rubber gloves -- do not shake them off! Then wash the bedding or clothing as regular laundry and dry them in a dryer or hang them outside in bright sunlight. Clothes worn while cleaning mouse infestation can be handled in the same manner. "
Thanks! :)
Old 06-19-2009, 12:26 PM

I have a couple of the pest thingies you plug in, they either work or the neighbor cats take care of the problem. So sorry for your loss.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Nursesews
I have a couple of the pest thingies you plug in, they either work or the neighbor cats take care of the problem. So sorry for your loss.
Hmmm, I am going to give them a try.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by henryparrish76
PQ....

Animals are not allowed to roam around outside in my neighborhood. They have to be fenced in if they are going to be outdoors.
That's too bad ~ never met a cat you could keep fenced in :lol:
Maybe those plug in thingies will work. I too keep my stash in plastic totes. Good luck with the cleaning.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by henryparrish76
Originally Posted by Piedmont Quilter
Oh Henry ~ I'm so sorry you have lost some of your stash and going through this delima. Since you have had the house checked by professionals, if I can give my 2 cents -

Sit your friend down and explain if she is to continue to live there some rules must be followed.

#1 Your room - your space - - - MY house - MY rules

#2 Keep your room CLEAN

#3 If dog is allowed to stay in house, he/she can no longer eat off floor in bedroom. Must eat in different room of house that IS NOT considered living area; ie utility or laundry room.

#4 If these rules cannot be followed, in order to keep our friendship in tact, maybe we need to dissolve this living arrangement. (Give her 30 days to find somewhere else to live)

That's just my 2 cents worth :wink:
Thanks I have explained that to her about an hour or so ago. We shall see how it goes.
Good for you. We are all so proud of you (of course, I speak for myself, but am sure most of us feel the same :wink: )

I would think a good washing in hot water and a good detergent and perhaps a mild bleach (colorfast of course) will be fine.

No stick to your end of the deal and everything will be OK. Good luck. :thumbup:
Old 08-21-2012, 08:00 AM

HOT WATER,,,and lots of it