Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cleaning a sewing machine >

Cleaning a sewing machine

Cleaning a sewing machine

Old 09-26-2012, 09:11 AM

If you have an electronic machine, I found out that lint gets packed in behind the board and needs professional cleaning. This can cause your touch screen to act up.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:12 AM

i have a bernina 730 artista and just press hard till it pops open ,it should open fo you if not call your store where you brought it ,hopes this helps you
Old 09-26-2012, 09:24 AM

My first lesson with any new pupil is how to clean and care for their machine. The hardest thing I have found is on new machines is getting the screws out of the sewing plate as they have been over tightened by machine. I always teach them how to take off the bottom of their machine and de-fuzz as they also need to know how to remove it to check when a needle breaks, that there is no bits in the bobbin holder or gears, don't ask me how I know! They are also taught how to polish their machines with a silicone colourless polish as this helps so much with the smoothness of fabric movement, and of course which oil to use and where to use it. They are all now proficient on looking after their machines and have never had to go to a repair man, so I must be doing something right, heehee.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:52 AM

Oh dear! I fear I have been abusing my poor Elna! I have only cleaned out the bobbin area and underneath the plate around it! I guess I now have a project to complete today. What kind of oil would you recommend for the machines? Is this something I can pick up at Joann's or something like it? The only oil in the house is WD-40 and my husbands gun oil.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Hylarie View Post
Oh dear! I fear I have been abusing my poor Elna! I have only cleaned out the bobbin area and underneath the plate around it! I guess I now have a project to complete today. What kind of oil would you recommend for the machines? Is this something I can pick up at Joann's or something like it? The only oil in the house is WD-40 and my husbands gun oil.
ALWAYS, ALWAYS use a Sewing machine oil, the one that I have is Singer but you normally get a tube when you get a machine. I have an Elna 7200 and this topic reminded me that I hadn't cleaned out the bottom of mine for a while so I did it just now and this is what I found, I also have 3 very clogged up dirty brushes full of fuzzies as well!
Attached Thumbnails fuzzies-bottom-elna.jpg  
Old 09-26-2012, 11:58 AM

I put machine oil on a Q-tip and clean around the feed dogs, where the bobbin goes in, and to the left in the inside of the machine. Do NOT run the Q-tip to the right because the mechine's "works" are there. Whenever I use black thread or fabric, I clean the machine well because the black has carbin in it and will eventually harm the machine.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
now, if i could only get the fuzzies off the furniture and from under the bed LOL
In my house, one dog's long fluffy tail takes care of the furniture, the other dog takes care of the fuzzies under the bed every time there's a thunderstorm.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:42 PM

I have an Elna 7300 and it is computerized. Do you think I can take it apart to clean?

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK View Post
ALWAYS, ALWAYS use a Sewing machine oil, the one that I have is Singer but you normally get a tube when you get a machine. I have an Elna 7200 and this topic reminded me that I hadn't cleaned out the bottom of mine for a while so I did it just now and this is what I found, I also have 3 very clogged up dirty brushes full of fuzzies as well!
Old 09-26-2012, 02:42 PM

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to go grab some, I didn't feel comfortable using the others available in the house I just thought I'd say they were there if it were usable.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:59 PM

The best thing I have found to clean my machines is pipe cleaners. I went to a "dollar store" and bought a bag of long one that are sold for kids crafting. They pick every bit of lint and don't let go. I've been told on a couple of occasions by sewing machine mechanics that I have a very clean machine.