Cleaning a sewing machine >

Cleaning a sewing machine

Cleaning a sewing machine

Old 09-24-2012, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

Default Cleaning a sewing machine

When you say "I cleaned my sewing machine" -

What does that mean to you?

When I say "I cleaned my machine" - that mostly means I brushed away all the fuzzies that I could see and vacuumed the loose stuff up. And oiled it where I could.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

When I clean my machines it is brush out the fuzzies from the feed dogs, brush any lint out of the needle area, check the thread path for fuzzies or thread bits, use a soft fleece cloth to wipe off the exterior and oil where necessary. If it has been a while I change my needle also.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:16 AM

This is what I used to do until I removed the bottom of my machine one day and was so shocked by the amount of fuzzies in there. I encourage you all to do this every once in awhile. My machine ran so much better after this.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:17 AM

It means I have removed all the lint from every area I can get to. On my vintage it also includes oiling. Huge difference in what I can "get to" to clean between my vintage and my newer machine. Very frustrating that I can not do as complete cleaning as I would like on the newer... its all sealed up . I just know there is more lint but can't access the underside of the machine . I guess with the newer machine the manufactures want the revenue from forcing you to bring the machine in for a real cleaning.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:23 AM

Here's a free class at Craftsy: http://www.craftsy.com/class/Sewing-Machine-911/77

I haven't viewed it yet but plan to. I have taken the "Machine quilting big projects on a small machine" and it is excellent. Plus you can view it as often as you want.

I use a little stubby screw driver and take the plates off and use water color paint brushes to get down really deep inside. You can get a package of these at Wal-Mart or a dollar store. I think I got 10 for about $1. You don't feel bad about throwing them away when they get yucky.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter View Post
Missouri Star Quilt Company also has a tutorial on cleaning your machine.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

now, if i could only get the fuzzies off the furniture and from under the bed LOL
Old 09-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Power Poster

I take the bobbin cover off with a stubbie screwdriver and brush off all the lint ans threads, oil the race. I can take the bottom off my Juki, don't know about the Babylock Jane. I haven't for a while. Once in a while I vacuum out that area. I use a sewing machine brush and a little paint brush. Brush off any other lint I see, oil them up and take off.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:58 PM

I love to mess with my machines. The fluff gets in there so fast. I use a small brush too and I love to take the machine apart as far as I can get it and stuff I know about, which isn't much. I don't have a computer machine.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
now, if i could only get the fuzzies off the furniture and from under the bed LOL
We're NOT responsible for those too, are we???