Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cleaning up our sewing areas! Let's Start! >

Cleaning up our sewing areas! Let's Start!

Cleaning up our sewing areas! Let's Start!

Old 01-02-2010, 08:02 PM

Pam, I've written and erased 3 different responses to your UFO/WIP question. I've decided the best way to respond is just make some pushy suggestions.
1. Separate all your UFOs/WIPs.
2. Put each one in its own container (of some sort????), preferably containers that you can stack on top of each other or in one of those plastic multi-drawer units.
3. Make sure you include notes detailing any ideas/brainwaves or plans that you have for that project. Include backing fabric if you have it and anything else that you might need to finish that project.
4. Prioritize! Name or number each one and have a corresponding list to keep (for example) on a bulletin board.
5. Then work on 1 or 2 (I do 2 at a time ... one upstairs and one downstairs) and, Pam, don't even think about the others! They need to be virtually out-of-sight and out-of-mind.
6. Don't start a new one unless some important quilty need arises, like a new baby or a sick person.

THE END! (No charge for the advice!)
Old 01-02-2010, 08:31 PM

My UFO's are stacked on top of the dresser, since some reorganizing. I thought that if they were in my face I might get to them sooner.
I also made a list off the top of my head 12 UFO's, a couple of WIP, and half a dozen waiting for the frame.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by weezie
Pam, I've written and erased 3 different responses to your UFO/WIP question. I've decided the best way to respond is just make some pushy suggestions.
1. Separate all your UFOs/WIPs.
2. Put each one in its own container (of some sort????), preferably containers that you can stack on top of each other or in one of those plastic multi-drawer units.
3. Make sure you include notes detailing any ideas/brainwaves or plans that you have for that project. Include backing fabric if you have it and anything else that you might need to finish that project.
4. Prioritize! Name or number each one and have a corresponding list to keep (for example) on a bulletin board.
5. Then work on 1 or 2 (I do 2 at a time ... one upstairs and one downstairs) and, Pam, don't even think about the others! They need to be virtually out-of-sight and out-of-mind.
6. Don't start a new one unless some important quilty need arises, like a new baby or a sick person.

THE END! (No charge for the advice!)
Weezie~

Glad the advice was free, that saves me more money for fabric. :lol:

1, 2 and 3 are basically done, its the prioritizing that I'm having trouble with. Do I start with the oldest, newest, hardest, easiest??

Putting them in the same area is good, currently they are in containers wherever I had space.

No new projects ... can we do that?? I thought that was against the quilters rules or something like that :lol:
Old 01-02-2010, 08:57 PM

Pam, definitely work on the easiest or cutest first; put the least interesting one last (just in case you never get to it!).
Old 01-03-2010, 02:16 AM

Great ideas!
I am going to read that Quilter's Prayer at our first meeting.
Thanks!
Old 01-03-2010, 03:32 AM

I got soooo totally Sidetracked yesterday. It started when i wanted to run up to JoAnns to get a couple of the clearance storange bins.
Then my Brother called, and wanted to take me to lunch..
the only thing i really got done,re: the sewing area, is i went to the post office and mailed everything out promised.
Which was a good thing!
I want to make the cardboard fabric holders,i love the idea of making them look like mini bolts..

Did anyone else get anything accomplished?
Old 01-03-2010, 04:27 AM

I googled "fabric storage" and got a few ideas and blogs, tutorials..
here is one..
http://www.siblingcraftery.com/2009/...ic-organizers/

Although the clothes hanging system was just a shower curtain rod,and was home made, and not in my sewing ares..some of the larger yardage..i use skirt hangers..to hang them up...
Old 01-03-2010, 03:46 PM

got the scrap bin cleaned out. all sorted by size, color, and put in separate bins. Now working on Christmas fabric that I had thrown in a container! Using the ruler method for folding and looks real nice. However, going to rest and work again during commercials! LOL happy organizing everyone!
Old 01-04-2010, 03:23 AM

In regards to storing patterns: I have tons of patterns- sewing and qulting. I did have them in large plastic filing boxes from the office supply store. i had 3 big ones and 2 little ones. those were for the patterns in paper or plastic envelopes. I now have them in a big pattern file cabinet like at the fabric stores. My quilting patterns from magazines are now in 3 ring binders in the protector sheets divided into easy, intermediate and challenging categories. i still have some in my reular file cabinet- which needs to be organized. I've started my room when i put the pattern file in there because it is so big. Good luck to everyone in this challenge!
Old 01-04-2010, 03:41 AM

I got the bolt cardboard from JoAnns the other day..free of course. and started cutting them down, while watching tv. I know about acid free..i used to do scrapbooking..but i am hoping i use my fabric.and not buy much this year..! beside i can't afford to get the acid free ones..i checked on line, and they are expensive..
I am doing great with the sorting..
sewmom,thanks for idea of the file boxes..but i have alot of pattern, but not that many!! i don't "sew", i piece and quilt..i only have about 6 or 7 garmet patterns..and hve yet to try "sewing"! lol!