Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cleaning your quilt stencils-Help appreciated! >

Cleaning your quilt stencils-Help appreciated!

Cleaning your quilt stencils-Help appreciated!

Old 03-22-2011, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by IfuPleasEM
I am sorry, if you have already tried this. I do machine embroidery, and use spray adhesive on the hoops, they also get very sticky. To clean them I run warm soapy water in sink or any vessel your stencil will fit into and let it soak sometimes for hours. But, it does get where you can wipe them right off. I have heard not to use rubbing alcohol to clean plastic hoops, because this dries them out. Maybe worth a try. Good luck.
I will try this as I am sure my DH prefers Dawn dish soap over Goo-Gone.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ
Try WD-40. I use it to remove all kinds of adhesive. Then follow up with a dish detergent wash and rinse. Sometimes I let it sit for a few minutes on hard-to-remove spots.
Maybe DH will loan me some of his, it's worth a try to get this sticky stuff off the stencils.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by MMBF
I know this sounds crazy, but try hand sanitizer. It seems to dissolve the sticky yuck leaving your stencil germ free!
Do you mean the kind that you don't need water for? It's worth a try, will have to give this a test as well. I am certainly glad that I don't spray this on my quilts.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:54 AM

I don't use any adhesive on my stencils but I use velcro dots and that helps to keep the stencil from moving.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:54 AM

That is a very good point. Can you wash it out of fabric?[/quote]

The basting spray does wash out of your fabric when you wash the quilt. I use it all the time.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:00 AM

Eucalyptus oil always removed sticky residue from glass, stainless steel, and plastic plus it leaves a nice, clean, fresh smell. Good luck!
Old 03-22-2011, 11:23 AM

You might also try making a paste out of Oxyclean and water and trying that. My son discovered that this mixture is great for taking the watermarks off my glass shower doors and I even use it in my water for cleaning my floors. Works wonders. Takes the spray starch off my cabinet top where I do my pressing too. Might be worth a try. Just try it in a little corner first and run it under the water afterward.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by pstoner
Ok I have several used quilt stencils and was told by a local LAQ that using spray adhesive on the back of the stencil helps it stay in place when using the pounce pad, and it works great, but I have finished several different projects doing just that and would like to get the residue off of the stencils for storage. I have tried rubbing alcohol, laquer thinner, and soap and water, but rubbing the stencils can cause damage (especially if there are points on them) Any suggestions, the spray basting can suggests using organic cleaning methods-what does that mean?

Organic cleaners are Murphy's Oil Soap, citrus cleaners, etc. WD40 might also work. good luck let us know what works best...
Old 03-22-2011, 11:41 AM

try using WD-40 - it works beautifully on a lot of things, including getting sharpie off of your stencils and sticky stuff off of things that have leftovers from price tags
Old 03-22-2011, 12:50 PM

I use WD-40 and it works great. Just wash with soap and water after the gunk is removed.