Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Closet Quilter, Group or Guild??? >

Closet Quilter, Group or Guild???

Closet Quilter, Group or Guild???

Old 12-13-2012, 10:01 AM

That was funny!! Thanks for the chuckle.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:46 AM

When I first started quilting I found myself welcomed by a GREAT guild (North Cities in Orange County, CA), when I moved I found the local guild too standoffish for me, so I became I closet quilter.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:22 AM

quilt at home. cannot afford classes and no guild nearby that I know of. there is a group at the senior center i visit on occasion, but sometimes I feel I will always be a "visitor" instead of a member. do use them for long arm work though as it is cheaper. nothing fancy, but works for me. they are all nice ladies, just more advanced that I am. and one lady, while helpful, is kind of a quilt police person.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:39 PM

Closet quilter! (Someday I'll come out of the closet and join a guild, but no time at the moment.)

Alison
Old 12-13-2012, 12:43 PM

I belong to a guild and then within that is a small group I also attend meetings for. This small group has a challenge each month and it's totally optional whether you make something for the challenge or not. These quilts or sculptures can be large or small, no rules. All the folks in this group are into more contemporary kinds of quilting. Lots do their own fabric painting, dyeing, stenciling, etc. We work with items beside fabric as well, to embellish our quilts. Also within the guild, I signed up to be part of two different Round Robin's. One is for a block (add one or more borders) and the other is to make a row for a lap sized quilt. It's a challenge to get both of these Round Robins done in a month's time and work on the other projects I have going.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:02 PM

A closet quilter, and a longarmer. I get more done at home.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:39 PM

I'm a closet quilter. Kind of a lone wolf, but I do share on here and with some other quilty friends.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:53 PM

I belong to a quilt club that meets every week and a quilt guild that meets once a month. I also belong to a club that meets once a month in the morning and we go to lunch together and then have a mini-retreat in the afternoon to learn a new technique or project. Our fearless leader is on this board. Hi, Kathleen!
Old 12-13-2012, 03:07 PM

I have been a Guild mem. for 6 yrs(just a member); interesting but not fun(only 1.5 yrs fun); just call me a Closet quilter w/LA; The bullies run it underneath and the click associates; the rest of them keep quiet for fear of being attacked and when you stand up and say anything you are attacked; so most of my quilting is at home and most info I get is off this board of which its hard to do without--lots of real FRIENDLY FOLK HERE, AND LOT OF GOOD INFO; don't think I could do without the Quilting board. It's ashame about the Guild. But anyway-- here I stay---------------Thank You my Friends. even though not in person. Have a great Holiday time what ever you celebrate.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:52 PM

My sewing room is the size of a closet so I'm a closet quilter, belong to 2 guilds,and a small group that meets once a month.Retired so have to get away from DH to get any real sewing done...that's when the guilds come in handy....