Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Closet Quilter, Group or Guild??? >

Closet Quilter, Group or Guild???

Closet Quilter, Group or Guild???

Old 12-13-2012, 04:02 PM

I quilt all over the place, home, quild, once a week with a friend, retreats...anywhere people will have me!!!
Old 12-13-2012, 04:20 PM

I belong to a small church group. Started 4 years ago, with their support and encouragement I am slowly learning the ins and out of making quilts. They are all from the old school of HAND QUILTING, this I love, I look forward to my Thursdays to join them in quilting or learning how to restore tattered old quilts that people bring in. Our Bizzy Beez have great times fellowshipping together.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
I think I resent being called a "closet" quilter. There's nothing I'm ashamed of quilting and sewing here all alone.
No one called you a name.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:39 PM

Mainly have been quilting alone. Joined a local guild a few years ago, but it seemed to "clicky". Just recently met a few women who meet to sew an/or stitch. I love it! We all get to help each other out, and there are a few who are now learning to quilt. Very informal, which works for me!!
Old 12-13-2012, 06:22 PM

Mostly still in the closet. I do belong to two guilds - one large, one small. I am more involved in the small one as I am a new member of the larger one. I plan to try and get my feet wet with the larger group next year (next month). I am fortunate that I knew members of both guilds before attending and joining so I did not totally feel like a fish out of water. Guilds are an acquired "taste".
Old 12-13-2012, 06:33 PM

I do not belong not a quilting guild our group, but my across the street neighbor is an avid quilter. We often get together and talk quilts. Also, I've taught at least one other person the basics of quilting.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:40 PM

No guilds for me anymore, tried them and they are not for me. I do have a wonderful group of women who are my quilting bee once a week and they are fun to quilt with. But I think I am a private quilter in my own sewing room.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:32 PM

I joined a guild about 10 years ago and the first year I was just watching, looking, listening and learning. Then I got involved and love the guild. You have to put yourself out there. I told them I was ignorant so help me, teach me. They are a great guild. We have over 300 members and we make quilts for Head Start for children, Habitat for Humanity homes, unwed mothers, shelters, and our service personnel. I do most of my quilting at home but donate a lot of it to the various things the guild supports. I consider myself an advanced beginner but love to make all sorts of quilts. I found that you just have to ask questions, try to learn new things, take classes the guild offers, and do what you can to support the group. Mississippi Valley Quilters Guild with members from Iowa and Illinois.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:54 PM

I would like to belong to a group but found it hard to find a group who meet at night or weekends - I work full time so tend to quilt at home alone
Old 12-14-2012, 01:30 AM

I do both. I go to two LQS on alternate Saturdays. Sundays and what time I can squeeze in around fulltime work through the week I do at home. I do what workshops I can get to. Am thinking of joining a local guild in the new year and go to as many shows I can physically get to. I can't wait to retire to do much more