Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Closet Quilter, Group or Guild??? >

Closet Quilter, Group or Guild???

Closet Quilter, Group or Guild???

Old 12-14-2012, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
I think it has only been a negative term to one person. To the rest of us it is a play on words. We are addicted to quilting; we mostly quilt alone in our home; ergo, we are closet quilters. We need to understand the humor that was in the first message; it was really quite clever. I think it corresponds very well to any other addiction carried on in private that someone spends lots of money on, does privately, has no intention of quitting, is sure that it doesn't harm anyone else, etc. That describes my quilting. LOL!!
Exactly how I feel. I spend a lot of time alone due to health issues. So yes it is privite.. lol Probably more because no one around me is the slightest bit interested or understands why I do it .. LOL But that's ok I have everyone on here that is and does.. And some even share my sense of humor.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:33 PM

I belong to a guild. I quilt at home but the socializing and getting tips is good for me.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:38 AM

I belong to a quilt guild. The group is 250+ members and have a morning and evening meeting once a month with a speaker. The speaker is usually from out of town or a member with something unique. National speakers are getting expensive. We have a Quilt Show every 2 years and that helps with the expense. It is inspiring to be among other who share your passion. We have small groups open to members or others at various days and times of the month that helps you find people nearer to where you live and helps make the larger groups. Less intimidating. Usually you can visit a quilt guild a couple of times before joining to see what they are like. I will say the best way to meet people is volunteer to be an officer or a helper.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:50 AM

All of the above, I quilt at home since its my job, I am a member of the board here, go to a weekly quilting group here in my neighborhood, and I am a member of a quilting quild.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
The ONE will speak. Being a "closet" anything is very negative. I have no reason to hide anything about myself or my life or my way of sewing.
There's a LOT of things I do that I wouldn't do publicly. I wouldn't have sex in public. I hide that. I don't sew in public either.
However, I'm not offended that people know I do these things in private, in the "closet."
Old 12-15-2012, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by damaquilts View Post
there always has to be one. It never even crossed my mind that is was a negative.
We got to 126 posts before it became negative. :-)
Old 12-15-2012, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by eyes View Post
We got to 126 posts before it became negative. :-)
If you had read all the posts from the beginning, you'd see #18 wasn't happy about the term "closet" either.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
If you had read all the posts from the beginning, you'd see #18 wasn't happy about the term "closet" either.
Did you read post # 20?? I apologized before you posted. I'm not sure if two apologies are better than one, but if so, I apologize again.

On a positive note I have really enjoyed everyone's input and hearing how and where you like to quilt - and whether or not you enjoy quilting together or alone. Thanks for your responses. I enjoy the interaction on this board too in spite of the negative comments.

Last edited by mtngrl; 12-15-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:18 PM

Can we agree to disagree?? Personally I have no issues with terminology used in jest....In actuality my closet is way too small, so I am a corner of the bedroom quilter!
Old 12-15-2012, 07:50 PM

Please Dragonomine, not all quilt guilds are unfriendly. Most meet only once a month and we older ladies have a hard time remembering names...at least that was true when I first joined but I volunteered to be the BOM person when one became ill and was unable to continue and immediately everyone seems to know my name and talks freely to me. I am now one of 3 ladies handling the charm square exchange each month. I also found that the 2 mini groups in existence were full so started a new mini group that is terrific. We are all on different skill levels and at each meeting the hostess teaches or reviews a skill, we have show and tell and minimal snacks. It is a helpful, loving group that I would wish you all could have access to. The two meetings, guild and mini group are the highlight of the month.
Originally Posted by Dragonomine View Post
Reading over all these replies now I don't think I even want to look for a guild. It sounds like they're all clicky with snobby women. Not really my thing because I can't keep my mouth shut. I'd be giving someone a piece of my mind.