Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Closet Quilter, Group or Guild???

Blog Entries
    I belong to two guilds, and two sew groups, and instruct a community quilt program once a month. The days we don't meet I sew at home. Since the birth of my grandson I don't go to the sewdays as much, I'm daycare until he gets passed the infant stage so he won't get every bug germ that comes along. No sickness at all so far, not even a fever or runny nose. He's a sweetheart so I'll give up lots of sew days for him. I have babysitter for guild days.
    Got fabric?

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    I belong to a guild that I attend once a month. I used to belong two a quilting bee too but I stopped attending when I had a baby and the ladies have since disbanded. SAD! I do have a handful of quilting/sewing buddies who I get together with on ocassion and several friends who I am teaching to sew or quilt. I taught one actual class at a quilt shop but didn't get on too well with the owner! Pooh! Lol* Other than that just helping friends or helping at the guild and that's about it. When my kids get older and I can travel I would love to travel and teach.

I should add that my Mother doesn't quilt be she sews and loves to hear about my projects - we get together about once a week and do a show and tell with each other. It's fun to get out with other quilters but if it were only me and my Mom I'd get plenty of sewing chat in still!

Blog Entries
    I belong to a small guild. I enjoy it we meet 2 time a month and have a sit and sew after a brief meeting. I love my group but most of my quilting I do alone only an arms length from the computer and the Quilting Board!

I'm not part of group or guild. I'm somewhat of an intravert, and until you get to know me, I'm not the chatty type. I've only been quilting for a year, and I think I'm a bit worried that I'll be surrounded by these amazing quilters and I'll be intimidated. (I know that is a silly thing to think, but I can't get over it! LOL). One of my friends just starting doing some sewing and quilting as well, so I do have someone I talk "shop" with. I read a lot of blogs, and am a member here and at MSQC. So far, that's been enough.

Closet here.

Blog Entries
    I belong to the quilting board sight, and to my home town quilt guild Melon patcher QG. Been a member 25/26 years, and still the only guy. I dont mind, I feel like 1 of the ladies, even though I'm a guy. They even tell me how amazed they are, with some of my quilts, I show(show/tell). Don-isewman

i belong to a local group which meets every 2 weeks--great ladies the jaw gets a lot of excercise---our guild here in adelaide are blest with some world renoun quilters--rachel deneny---pam holland--michelle hill [the spelling may be off sorry]--they are extreemly nice people and share their knoledge[ok my spelling brains in bed still] we had 250 people at our xmas party ----------i am a stay at home but like the stimulation o f good company

I belong to two quilting guilds that meet monthly, one Stitch and Share that meets weekly and a Community Quilt Group that meets once or twice a month. All of my groups are quite different and the same people do not belong to all groups so you get to meet a lot of quilters. I enjoy all of my groups and still find time to do lots of stitching at home. I also have a couple of close quilting buddies (less than a mile from my house) who I regularly hang out with.
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

Recently retired so I am currently a closet quilter. Would love to be part of a group or guild.
    Carolyn

Blog Entries
    i quilt alone, but a couple times a month do enjoy getting together with the quilting seniors... not a lot of serious quilting goes on, though.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

I sew alone.. I am pretty production orientated!! When I get ready to sew .. I want no distractions. I tried the group thing but I think they thought I was not "commited" as sometimes my work has me traveling and I can never say I can definately make a meeting.

I am an independent quilter. I tried a couple of quilds several years ago but it didn't work out. But since I am recently retired I would like to try again to find a group that fits. I tend to do things contrary to others - I get the same results, just a different way and many people try to tell me "how its done correctly" .... I don't fit in for many .....
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

Blog Entries
    I have been a closet quilter teaching myself as I come across books, magazines and this forum. I have the utmost respect for the quilters here. Plus I found out about You Tube tutorials here.
    I am considering joining a guild. A friend who lives two houses away from me asked me to go to a meeting with her in October. We went and enjoyed ourselves. Everyone seemed quite friendly. We are going to go to another meeting (can attend two without paying) before we make a decision to commit or not. I think I will join if she wants to join, yet I'm also thinking about asking her if she would like to simply get together to quilt a couple times a month in our homes since we are so close. It isn't a matter of dues since they are only $15 a year. For me it is my Chemical Sensitivities. I can't be around anyone wearing fragrances or fresh laundry products. She told me she isn't ready in her quilting to work with a group on charity projects. I can see the pros and cons of joining and not joining. So I will have to see what the future brings.

I have tried both (2 guilds) and I prefer the more relaxed atmosphere of a quilting group. I belong to 2. One meets the first Sat. of the month at local Library from 9 to 3. We have a pitch and sew all day. Have been doing this for 4 years. The other group meets the 3rd Thurs. evening of the month. We have show and tell sometimes demonstrations, we all make a raffle quilt every year and give the money to Charities of our choice, and this year we made lap quilts for a nursing home for Christmas.

Banned
    Closet quilter here. I'm sure we have local groups in town but I do volunteer work while the kids are at school and then play taxi to them the rest of the time. Maybe when they start driving themselves?

I quilt at home to pass the time since I am disabled...There are no guilds that are easily acccesible to me, but I am hoping I can find one after I move at the end of the month!

Closet! And happy that way. I love the solitude of quilting. I'd rather have just a social outing and then come home and quilt - not combine the two. I prefer online groups and blogs in my jammies with my coffee.

I'm a member of this group and another online group, plus a large (70 member), county-wide guild and a small (12 member) club. I also work at a LQS, where I also teach classes.
    Cindy

Curator of an 1889 Singer model 27 Fiddlebase Treadle, a 1951 Singer Centennial Featherweight, a 1956 Singer 401A, and a 1982 Bernina 830 Record.

I belong to our local guild, but mostly in the closet quilting.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

I belong to a group of other quilters that gets together every Friday night...we have for over 20 years. Also belong to a guild. A few times a year I also go to a group that meets monthly in homes....but that one is hard for me to get to with my work schedule. I love time spent with friends sewing, and I also like the inspiration I get from guild. I also do love time spent alone sewing too...with music playing, and my dog and cat for company.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
    I quilt alone, but don't consider myself a closet quilter. Everyone I know, knows I quilt, so I guess I'm outed.
    This is me. Only time I quilt with a gruop, is twice a year when all my sisters and I get together.

My closets are full of fabric, so I have to quilt elsewhere. I do belong to a guild and actively participate. I haven't done many classes, but I do work on charity quilts once/month with our guild sub-group. I enjoy the social aspect of it, but I am much more productive when I am on my own. Of course, when I get the opportunity to visit my mother, we get a lot done, and I love working with her!

Closet quilter. The local guild meets in the evenings, and I do not drive after dark.

I'm quite new to quilting (am working on my first one). The guild thing kind of confuses me. I'd like to take some classes, but the one quilt shop near me has discontinued their classes for now, and other shops I've been able to find a schedule for seem to not have many classes, but those they do have are on weeknights and I don't drive, so I can't do it. Maybe some day.

I mostly quilt alone, but I belong to a church quilting group that quilts for missions and the local nursing home residents. I've always liked working by myself, so I can work at my own pace and do what I want to, when I want to. I call myself a "loner" when it comes to work.
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast