Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: clothing catalog in my quilting magazine

Just got the new Fons and Porter mag and inside it had a clothing catalog. When I removed it it made the magazine, I bought and paid for, structurally comprimised. I also wonder do they now have my personal information. Does this matter to anyone else?

I think that they've just paid to have their catalog put in there. Personally I think that we pay enough that they shouldn't have to sell space for a whole catalog. When my subscription runs out I'm not going to renew it because of this and a few other reasons.

I agree too. I'm not renewing my either. It is the same 2 free books with your subscription for the last several yrs. I wrote them about it but never heard anything from them.
    I think the magazine have going down in its format in the last few yrs. There are other magazines I'm more interested in now or save that money for fabric or nice quilt book.

I've not been impressed with Fons and Porter. Seems like the whole magazine is an ad for their products, or certain fabric lines.

Thanks, glad to know it's not just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
    I've not been impressed with Fons and Porter. Seems like the whole magazine is an ad for their products, or certain fabric lines.
    I completely agree , I did not renew my subscription for this exact reason. I felt like I was paying for their self adverstizing.

I didn't renew mine either. Now it seem I am getting renewal offers every other day from them.

Bev
    I noticed that business with the clothes catalog some time ago. It bothered me. I know they must be making money hand over fist with all the ads in their magazine besides their line of quilting tools etc. Why do they have to mess up the magazine? it looks a little greedy to me. I've already discontinued buying their subscriptions. 8-)

I am not getting it any more either!

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    I completely agree , I did not renew my subscription for this exact reason. I felt like I was paying for their self adverstizing.
    Put me on the same list. I did not renew either for the same reasons. I won't even visit their website.....

Blog Entries
    I think I have had other issues of F and P with the same ads in it. I opened this newest issue and the magazine flopped open to the clothing insert..and along with it a renewal request. I am not renewing it either. Have you noticed to that they are one of two magazines that are wrapped in plastic on the magazine rack? I like to at least peek inside to see if the magazine is of interest to me. From now my money goes to more books and tools. Of course, FABRIC !

Peace and blessings,

Quote Originally Posted by Janetlmt
    Have you noticed to that they are one of two magazines that are wrapped in plastic on the magazine rack? I like to at least peek inside to see if the magazine is of interest to me.
    I hate it when magazines do that, and it always seems to be the more expensive ones that do it. I had that same problem with some of the needlepoint/cross-stitch magazines. At least put pictures of the projects on the cover so I can see if they are something I want to do.

I wasn't happy about it myself. I don't want any other catalogs in my quilting magazines that I pay for.

I sent their customer service the same message I expressed here and I would encourage all to do the same. In my experience, and I'm sure many of yours too, if they hear it it's possible they may change their ways.

I didn't renew mine either. Too much other STUFF not enough GOOD quilting ideas and tips. Was very disappointed in F&P mag.

They're probably not making much money on the advertising. This is a tough economy for print advertisers.

I don't mind the ads for quilting things - I usually look at the quilts, then go through again looking at the ads. But I don't care for ads that aren't related to the quilting content....such as it is. I won't be renewing F & P because the quilting content just isn't that good. There's nothing to look at.

Blog Entries
    most irritating. i have to pull that section out!!!

I've never been really impressed with the Fons and Porter magazine, and since they started wrapping them in plastic I've decided I'll won't be buying at all in future. I like to see what I'm buying and that's a marketing ploy that I really dislike.

I renewed for two years some time ago but definitely won't renew unless they drastically change. I don't want the ads from other things in my quilt magazine.

Another thing about Fons and Porter that bothers me is that whenever Joann's has a sale with all quilting notions at 50% off, the F&P notions are excluded. I can't think why that would be unless they are having to pay so much for the products wholesale that they can't afford to mark them down without losing money.

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by dforesee
    Another thing about Fons and Porter that bothers me is that whenever Joann's has a sale with all quilting notions at 50% off, the F&P notions are excluded. I can't think why that would be unless they are having to pay so much for the products wholesale that they can't afford to mark them down without losing money.
    Glad you mentioned that! I had forgotten about how much that irritates me. On rare occasion they DO have a Fons & Porter sale, but it doesn't include everything, just rulers for instance or pins. It's as though they are keeping themselves separate from the rest of the store. Probably this has nothing to do with F&P themselves, just the way Joann's does it. But it always makes me irritated with F&P. I think someone had better tell them to read this thread. It would be smart of them.

8-)

I totally agree with you. Fons and Porter seems to be all about marketing their products. Not paying for anything of that nature any more!

totally agree with all of you. Their magazine has gone down hill over the last year or so. I hate when they put it in plastic just to offer a disc or something---I always look at the quilts they have patterns for to determine if I want to buy it. My rule, at least 2 or more or no go. I only subscribe to McCall's Quick Quilts and am trying to put in a subscription to Quick Quilts from Harris Publishing. Did not renew any others---waste of money, postage and trees.

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JANW
    Thanks, glad to know it's not just me.
    Me too! I hate paying for ads.

Blog Entries
    I'm sorry to say that I have been coming for some time to the conclusion that F&P are gone commercial rather than gone quilting.
    Not sure what the whole deal is, but I see less and less of their stuff that I care for, and their prices seem high as well.
    Not a big F&P fan anymore.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast