Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
clothing catalog in my quilting magazine >

clothing catalog in my quilting magazine

clothing catalog in my quilting magazine

Old 08-28-2010, 05:08 PM

I couldn't agree more. The patterns don't strike my fancy at all. Just had a friend give me the latest edition and I was not even slightly interested in anything they had to offer.

Daisy Dell "Lynne"
Old 08-29-2010, 06:47 AM

Even though I'm sure Fons & Porter has probably done 'research' and 'surveys' on their subscribers and come to the conclusions that the majority of them are a certain age and might fall within certain income thresholds, there is no way to assume that all quilters can wear clothes from The Woman Within. This bothers me, as well as the selling of advertising inserts in the magazine.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:13 AM

I have recently thought about subscribing to McCalls quilt magazine. After reading some of the above comments I just may change my mind.
What harm could possibly come from displaying quilts that are their patterns? I would think this would spark interest from other quilters and increase the pattern business.
If I know quilters, and I think I do, we are just a population of people who want to keep the tradition of quilting alive. How disapointing to know that there are those who want to steal that pleasure by governing our every move in our sewing rooms. Quilters unite, let's not let this destroy our passion for something we all enjoy!!
Enough said!!
Old 08-29-2010, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by akrogirl
Originally Posted by Janetlmt
Have you noticed to that they are one of two magazines that are wrapped in plastic on the magazine rack? I like to at least peek inside to see if the magazine is of interest to me.
I hate it when magazines do that, and it always seems to be the more expensive ones that do it. I had that same problem with some of the needlepoint/cross-stitch magazines. At least put pictures of the projects on the cover so I can see if they are something I want to do.
I used to subscribe. Now, I find that it is actually cheaper to go browse through the magazines at the newsstand and if a pattern or two from a magazine "speaks" to me, I buy the magazine. If the magazine is wrapped in plastic, I just ignore it. I bought a few and found NOTHING in them that I wanted to do, so I just wasted my money.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Dodie
... I don't intend on buying anymore magazines and I will only buy patterns if they say disclaimer on them as I do like the local shows and the fair but I am concerned this may bring an end to all of this
Sounds to me like the quilting industry is shooting themselves in the feet. I believe they have a right to make a profit, but alienating their clientele is sheer foolishness.

I rarely look at quilt books or patterns to purchase anymore. I will if the design is pretty original, but if it is a twist to an existing block or pattern, I don't bother.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:31 AM
Banned

when you get renewal notices in the mail and it has a postage paid return envelop, just stuff everything back in the enveope and write in red magic marker, DO NOT SEND THIS STUFF. That gets their attention.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:46 AM

I love it
Old 08-30-2010, 03:41 AM

I also hate when a magazine is sealed in plastic on the newstand....I love to buy magazines but I like to browse before picking them up - if the magazine is sealed I will just pass over it...and pick up a different one.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:36 PM

Love your avatar. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: