Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
clothing catalog in my quilting magazine >

clothing catalog in my quilting magazine

clothing catalog in my quilting magazine

Old 08-21-2010, 04:42 AM

I have stopped all my quilting magazines. Too many ads and not enuf substance. Have any of you thot about a trading session? My ASG group does this quite often. We trade magazines and books. Patterns etc. can be copied on the home printer and the patterns passed on to the next person. We save a bundle that way. When we're all thru with a book, we add it to our library.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:13 AM

I am not an advanced quilter but seems like most of their quilts were for advanced quilters. Yes, some weren't but most of them were.
Maybe it was just me!!
I no longer take it.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:27 AM

I have not renewed my subscription either, too many advertisments and not enough quilts.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
I've not been impressed with Fons and Porter. Seems like the whole magazine is an ad for their products, or certain fabric lines.
I completely agree , I did not renew my subscription for this exact reason. I felt like I was paying for their self adverstizing.
Me too, I now know that I'm not the only one.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:36 AM

Yes, I was wandering about that...i think I may drop it to...
Old 08-21-2010, 06:17 AM

I have stopped all my subscriptions. Just really can't afford them anymore. Most quilt patterns I can figure out myself. Especially lately. Is it just me or do a lot of the patterns seem to be big pieces just to showcase a particular fabric?
I do like Quilting Arts magazine. But the subscription is too much for me . The only thing I pay for anymore is The Quilt Show. I may stop that too since it seems I don't have time to sit and watch anymore.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:03 AM

Yes, I just got mine too. I tried just pulling it out and the staples opened up on the top one. I then opened the catalog to their center and was able to slowly work it off the other two. Then I smashed the first one back down. They are really sharp.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:06 AM

I have also stopped all my subscriptions. It has been a very long time since I have seen a pattern that inspired me. They are all showcases for the latest fabric lines. It seems that we are having to pay to see their advertisements. I save my money to buy books from teachers that I like.

It is getting to be that way with a lot of things. Think about how many movies are just infomercials for toys and merchandise. It must make a lot of ad execs happy that we are willing to pay very good money to see their commercials.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:58 AM

I received the latest and am continually disappionted. Havent seen any patterns or pretty quilts for a while. It seems they all have to busy a fabric combo to be pretty.
Not sure if I will renew.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by JANW
Just got the new Fons and Porter mag and inside it had a clothing catalog. When I removed it it made the magazine, I bought and paid for, structurally comprimised. I also wonder do they now have my personal information. Does this matter to anyone else?
I got this too. I thought it was weird. I am liking Fons and Porter less all the time. They seem just so commercial and out for every red cent they can get from me. When my time is up, I'm not going to renew my magazine OR my quilter's club thing. (Another thing they drew me in on, and not worth the money.) I do like their ergonomic seam ripper, but nothing else. And I HATE, HATE, HATE their quilting gloves. I threw mine away, so worthless were they.