Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
clothing catalog in my quilting magazine >

clothing catalog in my quilting magazine

clothing catalog in my quilting magazine

Old 08-24-2010, 02:30 AM

Just saw this & notice it's dated back in 07.

http://www.newtrackmedia.com/Press_QNNtv.html
Old 08-24-2010, 03:05 AM

While their Complete Guide to Quilting book is great, I noticed that the magazine, when first published, was just the book in magazine form. Nothing new. I also don't bother to open the e newsletter, it is just an ad for their stuff. Sell, sell, sell, the same old stuff.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:17 PM

be very careful with all magazines as if you read the latest issue of McCalls the Sept.-Oct. edition it says you cannot use any magazine pattern or most patterns and display the quilt you make from them in a public place that is also your local fair and anyplace on the internet I did not want to believe it so I saw and talked to Laura Heine today who is a shop owner,teacher,pattern designer and has written a couple books and she told me the quilting industry is getting very greedy but she said she does not do that with her patterns so if you want to make a quilt for any purpose other than your bed check before you buy and end up with all that money spent after finding out this is true I will never buy another magazine and be very careful on patterns if they say disclaimer they are OK if not it is better to leave them on the shelf they are getting very nast out there that article is on pages 54 and 55
Old 08-24-2010, 04:31 PM

I hope I'm not sending this message twice but I think I forgot to hit the send button anyway I wanted to warn you on all magazines as there in an article in the latest McCalls issue Sept.-Oct. pages 54 and 55 it says you cannot put any quilt that you make on display anyplace that is public that means local fair internet anyplace public I did not want to believe it because I felt if I put all the money into pattern and fabric the quilt was mine not so unless you are only making it for your bed I talked to Laura Heine today who is a shop owner, teacher, designer
and has written a cuple books and she said it is true --she said the quilting industry is getting very greedy anyway I don't intend on buying anymore magazines and I will only buy patterns if they say disclaimer on them as I do like the local shows and the fair but I am concerned this may bring an end to all of this
Old 08-24-2010, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dodie
I hope I'm not sending this message twice but I think I forgot to hit the send button anyway I wanted to warn you on all magazines as there in an article in the latest McCalls issue Sept.-Oct. pages 54 and 55 it says you cannot put any quilt that you make on display anyplace that is public that means local fair internet anyplace public I did not want to believe it because I felt if I put all the money into pattern and fabric the quilt was mine not so unless you are only making it for your bed I talked to Laura Heine today who is a shop owner, teacher, designer
and has written a cuple books and she said it is true --she said the quilting industry is getting very greedy anyway I don't intend on buying anymore magazines and I will only buy patterns if they say disclaimer on them as I do like the local shows and the fair but I am concerned this may bring an end to all of this
In general, a party has to suffer some kind of damages before they can collect on any kind of lawsuit. I'm hard pressed to know how posting a picture of a quilt you've made on the internet damages the industry. If you're not selling it, but just showing it off to friends, I don't see how their copyright laws apply. Just because a company tells you something like that doesn't mean that they're right or that they have any kind of legal jurisdiction.

I would never knowingly violate any copyright laws, but I'm going to live my life my way and show off my quilts any way I want to. If somebody wants to come after me . . . well, I dare them. I'm not sure where it will get them since I don't own much of value!
Old 08-24-2010, 07:28 PM

I purchased a pattern for a little coin purse and in the instructions it informed me that I could not make any of them to sell. Later I read a legal opinion which stated that you certainly cannot sell the pattern or copy it for sale, but you could certainly sell what you make from the pattern as you pay for that privilege when you purchase the pattern, which is what the publisher actually owns rights to.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:36 PM
Power Poster

I no longer subscribe and the last subscribtion I have MacCalls is going that way too after their last article on use of patterns.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
I no longer subscribe and the last subscribtion I have MacCalls is going that way too after their last article on use of patterns.
I agree with catrancher are they going to send quilt police out to all of the local librarys and senior centers to see who are displaying quilts this really has gone way to far because we pay for the pattern that is theirs but after what we purchase and all of our work that is ours they will have to hire a lot of people to check n local fairs and shows too also I for one agree on hitting them where it hurts in the pocket book and once we don't renew magazines maybe they will wake up
Old 08-25-2010, 07:42 AM

Seems our lives are not our own anymore. What is happening to America. No love for one another. Just greedy people. What about the magazines getting their ideas from our ancesters and then just changing them somewhat and calling them their own.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:09 PM

I won't be renewing mine either for just that reason and I also haven't liked any of the patterns in their magazines lately.