Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
clothing catalog in my quilting magazine >

clothing catalog in my quilting magazine

clothing catalog in my quilting magazine

Old 08-23-2010, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by tryitall
I was miffed about it. It is a quilt magazine. Not a clothing catalog. Maybe I shouldn't feel that way, but I don't want all of the extra STUFF in my magazine!
It just cheapened the magazine for me. Such a shameless way to make more money, but that is so like F&P. They just seem money-grubbing to me at the expense of quality. It's penny-wise and pound foolish because it clearly doesn't enhance their product in the eye of the customer.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by JoAnnB
I think you should let Fons and Porter know you are dissatisfied with their magazine. I found this place on their website where you can write your comments.

http://www.fonsandporter.com/aspx/Fo...ntactform.aspx
I used the form and said I would not pay for a advertising gimmick for fabric manufacturers.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:16 PM

You know it reminds me of when Taste of Home, Country Woman, etc used to all be ad-free. I quit buying them for a while just because I had so many magazines already but now I see that they look like any other magazine. Full of ads and those darn cards that fall out or make it so you can't flip through the magazine easily.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:31 PM

Yes, Catrancher, Quitmaker did indeed publish the instructions only in the first magazine and they are adding a new pattern each issue for the whole year, but you can't get the instructions without purchasing a digital copy now. They keep saying they are working on it but there has been no results as yet. Since it is the middle of August, I would assume they are not working very hard!
Old 08-23-2010, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by lclang
Yes, Catrancher, Quitmaker did indeed publish the instructions only in the first magazine and they are adding a new pattern each issue for the whole year, but you can't get the instructions without purchasing a digital copy now. They keep saying they are working on it but there has been no results as yet. Since it is the middle of August, I would assume they are not working very hard!
Gee, that doesn't even seem honest, does it? I checked my collection. I only just started taking this magazine, so I only have the August issue. I was hoping I'd have it for you, but I don't.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:17 PM

I'm rescued. I give my magazines to my daughter when I am through with them and she found the copy in her collection. Nevertheless, I think it is a real problem when any quilt magazine does such a thoughtless thing as not everyone takes a full subscription but may just buy one copy off the rack at the local grocery store and may not have a computer in order to find the digital copy, even if they are willing to pay for it.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:01 PM

This is one of the reasons why I have a hard time paying such high prices for magazines. They are already getting paid for all the advertising, why should I have to pay to read all of it? If you shop online, you can get great deals on used books for about the same price as a single issue.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:43 PM

Thanks for the link, I'll be writing also ... I don't like these UNrelated to quilting "ads" and I don't plan to renew my subsc. Sadly, its the last mag I look at anymore ...
We should all let F&P know how we feel about it -
Old 08-23-2010, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by luv-e
I agree too. I'm not renewing my either. It is the same 2 free books with your subscription for the last several yrs. I wrote them about it but never heard anything from them.
I think the magazine have going down in its format in the last few yrs. There are other magazines I'm more interested in now or save that money for fabric or nice quilt book.
Agree ... I won't be renewing mine, it's the last one I look at and haven't made anything from it in some time
I had to call them several times just to GET those bonus booklets offered w the subsc
Old 08-24-2010, 02:26 AM

Yrs ago,I got took buying a couple mags because of something I liked on the cover.Then found there was no pattern included.You had to buy a kit.
Anyway that was & is last time I bought any quilting mag without checking to see if the pattern I liked was there.
So plastic wrapped is on my ....list. Thanks,but no thanks.