Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Coats and clark machine quilting thread >

Coats and clark machine quilting thread

Coats and clark machine quilting thread

Old 12-18-2011, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by wattse2000 View Post
Is this thread low-quality? I've been using it for piecing and quilting. Are my quilts going to fall apart???
Your quilts probably won't fall apart. But it is lintier than other threads and if you sew all the time the amount of lint you put thru your machine may be a consideration.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:44 AM

I agree with ckcowl. Do the "tug test". If it's strong enough, it'll be fine to use. As far as lint issues, I've had lint issues with expensive thread as well as with inexpensive thread. I think a lot of it depends on the needles. I wouldn't judge ANY product of ANY kind without testing it out for myself first.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:54 AM
Banned

It's not the nicest thread available but it certainly isn't going to fall apart.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:19 AM

I think Coats and Clark is a fine thread to use, there are lots of different threads out there made of polyester, cotton wrapped polyester, polyester wrapped cotton, 100% cotton. I have not had coats and clark make lint, some of the walmart, and off brands do have fibers spun into the thread to "beef it out". I use the "floss wrap and tug" (like you floss your teeth, wrap a couple of times around a finger and tug), if it doesn break you can use it. I "eyeball" any thread and if I see bits of lint on the thread, I do not use it. I am not a thread snob, just very frugal and buy thread from yard sales and auctions.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:55 AM
SEW

I routinely use C+C with no problems. Still have my first quilt I made with C+C and that was 30years ago!
Old 12-18-2011, 11:06 AM

I use and sell Coats threads in my quilt shop. Coats cotton is a really good sewing thread; "endless fibers" with very little breakage and almost no lint. All the above info about testing many different brands are very good advice.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:07 AM

Like SEW, my first quilt is doing just fine. I use C&C because my machine and I both like it. Lint has never been an issue. The polyester base gives the thread it's strength. The cotton wrap gives it the soft, cotton look and feel. I have heard various opinions on which way the thread should come off the spool when placed on the machine because of how it is twisted. I recently sent C&C an email and their response said it doesn't matter for the thread. If your sewing machine manual specifies a direction then it was manufactured to take the twist a certain way, so follow those instructions. That's probably more than you asked for, but I don't mind sharing.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:08 AM

I had difficulty with Coats and Clark thread in a free motion machine quilting class I took. The teacher said to only buy the more expensive....... I have used it for piecing, though, and haven't had a problem.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:19 PM

look up Carol Shinn http://carolshinn.com she only uses coats and clark to do her work...she is amazing...and yes her work is all thread.... I took a class with her!!!!!!! at quilting by the lake
Old 12-19-2011, 03:35 PM

Just remember you get what you pay for. If you are happy with the results of your quilting thread, then you've got the right thread. But, if you have a chance to try other threads at a reasonable price, you should try. You might be surprised by the difference between a Chevy and a Cadillac.

Ricci