Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Coats and Clark plastic snags? Am I the only one? >

Coats and Clark plastic snags? Am I the only one?

Coats and Clark plastic snags? Am I the only one?

Old 02-19-2018, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
You need the large spool cap that is bigger then the spool end. This lets the thread go up and then feed to the machine. If you do not have a large spool end, I would make a disc to go on before your small spool cap. Perhaps cut a margarine lid circle or drill a hole in a medicine bottle cap?
.I'm going to try this next time I use Coats and Clark thread. I've had the same problem!
Old 02-19-2018, 06:09 AM

This is puzzling because Coats & Clarks stopped making the thread spools with the slit to hold the thread several years ago. Now a new spool just has the thread 'tucked' into the first wrap. So, you must have old thread or someone is selling old stock. Now, if it is the actual spool that has jagged edges - that's a different problem. That can be attributed to new manufacturers who are not good about quality control! But if it is on a horizontal threader, it shouldn't be hitting the spool end and snagging. Last resort, roll it over a piece of fine sandpaper or emery board - in one direction.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:48 AM

I have had this problem on my Artistic 18 sit-down machine. I finally put the cap (the caps come with all the machines) over the top of the spool and solved the problem. I did what you did at first. Got out the nail file but that didn't completely solve the problem. The cap did.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:05 AM

I keep on old emery board in my tool cup. Just sand it down, works like a charm
Old 02-19-2018, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by RosaSharon View Post
I had a strange observation. My nearby Walmart Coats and Clark thread came on one of those spools with that little slit that caused me lots of headaches too. However, when I travel a distance to JoAnns, the Coats and Clark spools had the end cap. Strange....I wondered if C&C had a zillion of those spools with the slits in their store room and are trying to use them up at Walmarts, or are they just cheaper to make so Walmart gets them.
Yes, I believe that is the case. The new C&C spools don't have those slits. I'm a little surprised that so many of those are still being sold. It has been a few years since I commented that C&C had finally designed a spool without those slits.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:04 AM

I find other brands have the same issue so I also smooth out the edges so I don't have issues when I'm using it.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

I remember reading something about this when the new style of spool was introduced by Coats. Walmart wasn't happy with the price increase of the new Coats thread and it would be too expensive to carry. Coats continued to produce the old style for Walmart. I haven't noticed the old style of spools being sold anywhere but Walmart. Where else is the old style sold?
Old 02-19-2018, 09:33 AM

The slot is for the thread when you are done with it, supposed to stop the thread from unraveling. Slot end goes to the bottom of thread spindle. Do not know about snags, never had that problem.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
It’s the spools. There may be some way to smooth them (nail polish?), but I don’t have enough experience with them to be sure. My other gripe with Dual Duty is the lint and dust it creates. Polyester threads are much nicer for quilting. Check out redrockthreads for Superior and other brands.
I keep a glass nail file under my DSM to smooth those little burrs. Works just fine. I find them on all different brands of thread.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:34 AM

When I get a new spool for quilting, I sand the slit area down with a simple emery board. It only takes a few minutes and has solved this issue for me.