Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
coats/coats & clark thread >

coats/coats & clark thread

coats/coats & clark thread

Old 11-30-2014, 09:59 AM

All threads work great in all my machines, Bernina and Pfaff, although some are more linty then others.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:28 PM

No, it is not your machine that is at fault. I have some old and some new C&C thread. Having lots of knots and twisting on the new thread. The old thread is ok. This thread coming out of Mexico is very inferior. Although I have priced other brands, more expensive, I will not be buying C&C thread. As long as we, the consumer, keep buying inferior products, the manufactorers(sic) will keep making cheap products.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:21 PM

I was recently in the Bernina store and the owner tells me one of the best threads she has for the price is a large spool of Mettler Silk-finish cotton (made in Czech Rep) it also says AMANN on the spool - I just got it, so have not had a chance to sew with it yet, but its a good amount of thread on the large spool - 2000 yards of no.50 and it also says 100% cotton......she says for the money, its one of the best she sells...........so I figure it is worth a try........
Old 12-01-2014, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by lsmft View Post
I haven't been a quilter long enough to know what happens over time to the thread in a quilt that's been washed many times. Any comments on that?
I made a quilt for a girlfriend in 2002. She passed recently and her family returned the quilt to me as a remembrance. She had used, and washed, the heck out of it. It was sewed with good 'ole C&C polyester thread and all seams are still intact and holding strong. The thread on the quilt my DH and I received as a wedding gift, which we used constantly on and off the bed, and washed a LOT, was cotton and it also held strong. What disintegrated was the fabric after about 25 years of constant use.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:10 PM

I used Coats & Clark gold metallic thread for a stitch intensive embroidery project and it worked perfectly. My quilting friend used Madeira for the same pattern and had lots of breaks. She finally started over and used polyster golden rod color instead of metallic gold. My finished quilt pictured below. The background fabric is dark cocoa colored satin. 70 blocks.
Attached Thumbnails golden-tapestrys.jpg  
Old 12-01-2014, 08:01 PM

I use C&C and I use it to quilt the donation quilts as it holds up better than some of that fancy thread...
Kirsten
Old 12-01-2014, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
It doesn't matter to me if my machine like it or not, C&C thread is very expensive compared to the amount of thread on a spool to the amount of top brand name thread on a spool. You rarely see C&C in quilt shops not because it's not okay thread but because of the price to stock it.
I agree! I finally bought some polyester isacord at the embroidery shop for FMQ and I paid less that $5 for a spool that I could quilt an ENTIRE quilt with. The last one I used Coats for and it was ridiculous. Can't even begin to count how many spools I went through...probably atleast $30 in thread!

I do have Coats in my cupboard I've used for various garment projects. I'll keep that for when I need a matching thread for perhaps an applique. But for FMQ I'm buying something else on a spool. I also found that the thread on the spool with the spool stand behind the machine was much better tension wise. The machine was much happier.

What my machine doesn't like is the fine 100% cotton. I had lots of breakage problems with that. Perhaps it could've been my needle choice. I wasn't so savvy about that when I started.