Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: COLD FEET

I say for something that expensive, you need to be completely sure. I'm sure you'll love it, but its like buying a car its a big investment and you don't want to regret buying something you don't like.

went to gammil in west plains missouri decided i like hand quilting better but even tho its expensive lifes short try new things there is always someone who will buy it from you if you decide it;s not for you

I was the same way and when my DH was putting it together the thought crossed my mind (for only a brief moment) to send it back; but now that I have had it for 6 weeks.......

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII LLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVEEEEEE MMMYY

AAAVVVEEEENNNNNNTTTTTEEEEE!!!!!!

I smile even when I walk by it. You will too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
    As I am getting a little closer to getting my longarm, I'm beginning to realize the value of a dollar. I am getting a little scared about spending so much money on something that I don't know if I'm going to like or not. I know I'll probably love it and want to spend all my time "playing" with it. But, still, it is a lot of money. I don't have any place close by that lets you rent a machine. And, I don't know anyone close to me that has one that I could practice on. I just have my one 10 minute experience at a quilt show on the Nolte. So, please. Somebody help me out here and tell me how much I'm going to love it!!!
    I got mine just before Easter and love it. I too tried some out at the Lancaster Quilt show. I got mine from my Husqvarna Viking dealer because I wanted someone close by to help me through any problems I may have. I am glad I did that because I had a problem with it a week after I got it and had to send it for repair. Now I love it. Biggest problem I see is that I need to make several tops at a time so I can quilt one right after another. There is a huge learning curve for me, but I am getting much better at meandering. You need to have confidence in yourself. Life is short and you can't take it with you (money) so enjoy life as you want to.

When you decide to buy be sure there is a help line you can call for help. As an ex. I have an HQ (Handi Quilter) with a local dealer but they have a 800 number I can call with any question (and I have) and they help you out. That is a big selling point for me as I was new with noone around to get help from at the time.

I guess I'll stick my 2 cents in now. I have a mid-arm (Handiquilter 16) which I love and never regret purchasing. I have found that the quilting is the part I enjoy most of the quilt process, just above designing and selecting the fabric. I am now considering trading up to the 24" Fusion by Handiquilter and I am having the same doubts, but going full speed ahead because I already know I enjoy it. You, however, have to do what is most comfortable for you.

Quote Originally Posted by OneMoreQuilt
    I know exactly how you feel. I was very nervous about making the final decision to order my Gammill....even though I wanted it more than anything. I will tell you that I love, love, love it and have never, ever regretted the decision to buy it! Good Luck and Happy Quilting.
    Yes, pricey, but love mine too. But I tell everyone to get a computerized system! All the longarmers around me are wearing out their shoulders, elbows, backs etc.!

I have had my APQS Ultimate II for over ten years now and probably didn't research machines well enough before I bought it. (Didn't look at other options) I only knew that a LQS had one they liked and that some women who were doing long-arm quilting were making it a full-time job and were booked a year in advance.

On the other hand, the machine has performed beyond my expectations, requiring nothing besides routine maintenance and cleaning and if anything serious goes wrong, the manufacturer is a two-hour drive.

My advice - make sure you buy the size of machine you are going to need for what you are going to do.

community benefactor
    I am 76 and purchased a Gammill Classic 6 years ago. I paid for it with quilting for others in 2and 1/2 years. I added Intelliquilter computer system in July of last year. No regrets. I only wish I had made the purchase when I was much younger. Great source of added income and so rewarding.

I'd really recommend that you try one someplace before you buy. I have always thought that I'd love a long arm system but after spending a day with my friend Chris on her Gammill and spending several days on a midarm setup at my local LQS, I decided that I really didn't like it nearly as much as I thought. Now I really appreciate even more what longarmers do and why they charge what they do. It was time consuming and a lot of work to get everything loaded and ready to go. The actual quilting was ok but not something that I would want to do everyday or as my new business. My LQS rents out their room with the midarm for $50 a day. My friend and I rent it once in a while, help each other and can finish a quilt for each of us in a day (if it's not king sized). I'd do more "homework" before you spend all that money.

If I could spare the money and the space in my sewing room I would LOVE to have one of those machines!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by calano1
    My DH bought mine 2 weeks ago as an early birthday present - and even though I feel a little guilty about the total cost of it all, I am not sorry he did it.
    And when he told me I deserve it for growing old with him ... I ♥love♥ him all the more for it! :)

If you have decided which one you want, go for it.
    I am sure you deserve it, too!! :thumbup:
    awww he is a keeper!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BrendaY
    How many quilts have you made in the past year? I pay $115 to have mine quilted.... queen size.
    Gosh, that sounds awfully high. I do hand quilting for less than that. Whew!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fraydknot12326
    I don't know which machine you're thinking of ~ there's a Babylock dealer in Fayetteville AR (I know 200+ miles from you) that has the Crown Jewel.

There is a Nolting dealer in Harrison AR (yep, still a hike) but if you're having doubts, maybe you could take a day & check them out .. at least, that's what I would do. That would give you a second opinion. It's hard to believe no one in Texarkana has any dealers .. go figure.:roll: :lol:

Another thought .. my LQS has longarms to rent .. maybe there's something like that closer than you think .. that would give you some *hands-on* experience before taking that plunge :D
    I may have to take the time to go do that. I may give them a call.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinabodina
    I was the same way and when my DH was putting it together the thought crossed my mind (for only a brief moment) to send it back; but now that I have had it for 6 weeks.......

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII LLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVEEEEEE MMMYY

AAAVVVEEEENNNNNNTTTTTEEEEE!!!!!!

I smile even when I walk by it. You will too.
    lol, I can relate to this. I give her my cheeriest "Good Morning!" everyday as I walk by to make the coffee ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by darlyevanson
    I am 76 and purchased a Gammill Classic 6 years ago. I paid for it with quilting for others in 2and 1/2 years. I added Intelliquilter computer system in July of last year. No regrets. I only wish I had made the purchase when I was much younger. Great source of added income and so rewarding.
    Good for you!

If I had the room I would love to own one. I have paid as much as 200 to have a quilt done. It seems to me that whenever we make a big purchase we get cold feet - second thoughts - trying to justify it - but I think you will enjoy it once it is there and you can play on it.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelbie
    I'd really recommend that you try one someplace before you buy. I have always thought that I'd love a long arm system but after spending a day with my friend Chris on her Gammill and spending several days on a midarm setup at my local LQS, I decided that I really didn't like it nearly as much as I thought. Now I really appreciate even more what longarmers do and why they charge what they do. It was time consuming and a lot of work to get everything loaded and ready to go. The actual quilting was ok but not something that I would want to do everyday or as my new business. My LQS rents out their room with the midarm for $50 a day. My friend and I rent it once in a while, help each other and can finish a quilt for each of us in a day (if it's not king sized). I'd do more "homework" before you spend all that money.
    Ditto. I love to quilt but will leave it to the ones who have the patience. I like to work on my own car too but won't buy a dealership. Enjoy it when you decide. HUGS♥♥

Quote Originally Posted by cgroark
    I guess I'll stick my 2 cents in now. I have a mid-arm (Handiquilter 16) which I love and never regret purchasing. I have found that the quilting is the part I enjoy most of the quilt process, just above designing and selecting the fabric. I am now considering trading up to the 24" Fusion by Handiquilter and I am having the same doubts, but going full speed ahead because I already know I enjoy it. You, however, have to do what is most comfortable for you.
    You will love that Fusion!

Blog Entries
    Well, I think I feel a little bit better about it. I mean, I wouldn't hesitate to go out and buy a car, now would I? I always get buyer's remorse though. But, so far I've gotten over it. But, oh, which one and how much? Help!!!

I would look into buying a used machine to save money and
    there are also some less expensive machines, eg: Bailey

I tried on a home machine quilt frame first(Inspira). Not too pricey and was able to realize that a long-arm was not for me. Good luck with your descision.

I belong to two large quilt guilds and each of them has several people with longarm machines that do beautiful work. A couple of the girls have burned out and gotten rid of their machines. Unless you can afford the machine just to do your own work you may find it is a burden. Once doing other people's quilts to pay for your machine becomes a necessity it takes a lot of the pleasure out of the process. I was a handquilter for hire who is basically out of business because of the longarmers so I probably sound like sour grapes. Having to deal with other people's tops, loading and unloading the machine etc. and just he time and space it requires can become a burden. You will have to quilt a lot of quilts for other people to pay for the machine before you can feel free to leave it sit when you are tired of it. IF money is no object enjoy your new toy. If it is a problem it won't belong before you feel like you are working in a sewing factory. Just my two cents.

I know the feeling. I bought mine and am still struggling but am doing wall hangings and baby quilts. One of these days I will graduate to the bigger quilts. I wish I had done this years ago, I am 75 yr old and hard to teach an old dog they say ha ha. If not now you may regreat it. Hope your dealer gives lessons. Mine don't which is the mistake I make. Good Luck. Just do it.......BJ

If you're questioning your choice now, you may want to reconsider and test drive more or even rent time on a long arm before making a final decision. There is more costs into owning a long arm than just buying the machine and frame. I'm very happy with my choice of buying a long arm and knew I wanted one from the start. I don't quilt for others, just myself and for charity. I have a job and a busy life so it's just a hobby for me, I may do 2 tops a month and maybe none at all, but that's okay with me. Good luck with your decision!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast