Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
COLD FEET >

COLD FEET

COLD FEET

Old 06-03-2011, 05:18 AM

I bought mine last November and I don't regret it even though I have not used it. I have taken some classes (lecture) and am looking forward to getting "Maxine" up and running in a few weeks.

I'm sure she and I would have been the best of friends by now if it hadn't been for my shoulder surgery.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:24 AM

Hi Calo

What longarm did you get. I know there are not too many available in SA. I tried to buy one to ship to the Middle East and did not have much joy.

Sharon
Old 06-03-2011, 05:37 AM

you will love it. It took DH 5 years to talk me into getting mine. then he suggested I take a class somewhere. at the time the only places were Linda Taylor in Texas or I think Cindy Roth in Seattle. I chose Texas because it was closer an the plane ticket lets. LOL I am on the east coast. Anyway, first day I called home and said I really liked it. 2nd day, I called home and said I loved it. 3rd day, I called home and said Rick could deliver it in 2 weeks, because was delivering another one in the SE. He made me wait until I got home to talk about it. I did look at some others, but called back and got my Gammill 2 months later. had to wait for Rick to be coming to the SE again. Now the have dealers all over and it is easier to get to check one out. Check the gammill and others web sites and see if there are dealer in your area where you can test drive. a 4 hr drive is worth a test drive when you are leaning on the fence. good luck. 9 yrs later, I am still happy with what I did.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by BrendaY
How many quilts have you made in the past year? I pay $115 to have mine quilted.... queen size.
Wow, that's a fantastic price...they go for $200 to $300 for a queen in my neck of the woods here in Ohio. Is that for stippling or for a specific design? If I could find someone to do it for $115 I'd be thrilled!
Old 06-03-2011, 05:45 AM

Check with machine shops around town. I know there's one in Knoxville that will do tutorials, might be worth a short drive to find one.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:05 AM

My feet got cold AFTER I bought my LA (Mega-Quilter and Grace frame) It did not come with any instructions on how to load or anything and I immediately messed things up and am now afrid to use it, HELP.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:25 AM

I really enjoy being able to quilt the quilts myself after I finish piecing. If I had to do it all over again, I would not have bought such an expensive machine (over 35K). I would just send them to a long-arm quilter because I would never spend that much in my life to have them quilted. There are too many long arm quilters in our town to make any money. I do maybe 15-20 per year and that does not justify my cost. Right now owning it makes me happy and it is paid for. So no harm no foul.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:54 AM

Go for it...best investment I ever made. I love it. You can pay for it faster if you quilt tops for others. ( after practice of course ) Good luck :)
Old 06-03-2011, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

I had gone to "just look" at an HQ16 a few years ago, and my hubby said "we can do this"! So I went for it! I do love my machine, and wish I had the $ to get the computer thing~
But having the machine has saved me lots of time and $$ in being able to do my own quilts, as well as a few for others.
Hope you jump in! :)
Old 06-03-2011, 07:22 AM

I found mine on Craig's List, it was still a big investment. I was on the way to see it and on the phone with DH and he said if you want it get it, I reminded him of the price and he still insisted. It's in perfect condition and I got to play with it. I paid for it but had to wait 2 weeks to get it as we had blizzards. In the meantime, my husband lost his job, got another after 2 weeks and then was in a car accident and couldn't work for 3 weeks. Talk about guilty feelings for spending money. I never spend money on myself and when I do, look what happens. Anyway, we survived, I still have my LA, my husband is very proud of the work I do, I love my machine and I'm not sorry I bought it. And I can't express my feelings for my husband.