Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Collectible tins... but NOT Frivols >

Collectible tins... but NOT Frivols

Collectible tins... but NOT Frivols

Old 09-08-2016, 09:04 AM

Default Collectible tins... but NOT Frivols

Hi all!
The other day, I saw a comment (somewhere - I don't think it was here on QB though) about "collectible quilting tins" and based on the commentary, I don't think it was Moda's Frivols (which ended last month).

Does anyone know if either (1) some other fabric company is doing something similar or (2) Moda is doing a different "version" of Frivols?

I know there are a lot of extremely smart and intelligent folks here, so I figured this was the place to ask.
Thanks, all!
Old 09-08-2016, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

Fat Quarter shop has some new tins with quilting themes.

I use to collect tins. I had the first Whitman's tin, Salmagundi,and my granddaughter used it for a step stool when she was two. That was the end of that.

Last edited by Onebyone; 09-08-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:37 AM

I have seen travel sewing kit tins in several shops lately. Etsy may have them too.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sewi...+tins&tbm=shop

eye candy: https://www.google.com/search?q=sewi...w=1366&bih=653
Old 09-08-2016, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

here's one that's bright and cheerful http://www.fatquartershop.com/charmed-moda-tin
Old 09-08-2016, 01:58 PM

Lori Holt of Bee In My Bonnet has some out; they are pretty small. Adorable, but at $15 (I think they have thank you notes in them?) kind of pricey, I think. The thing I like about Frivols is that they are a nice size to store small projects in. I did buy a couple of those, but only when they were marked down quite a bit.

Found them - here is a link, but there are several options. The ones with note cards are $15, or save $10 if you buy a set. Or $10 without the cards. Of course you have to add shipping in. They are only an inch deep and are 4.625” x 6.875”

Last edited by peaceandjoy; 09-08-2016 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Fat Quarter shop has some new tins with quilting themes.

I use to collect tins. I had the first Whitman's tin, Salmagundi,and my granddaughter used it for a step stool when she was two. That was the end of that.
i have that tin now. found it at an flea mkt several years ago. it's beautiful, so sorry to hear of your loss ...but ...ain't our darlin' grand treasures even more precious than our vintage finds? <3<3
Old 09-09-2016, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
Lori Holt of Bee In My Bonnet has some out; they are pretty small. Adorable, but at $15 (I think they have thank you notes in them?) kind of pricey, I think. The thing I like about Frivols is that they are a nice size to store small projects in. I did buy a couple of those, but only when they were marked down quite a bit.

Found them - here is a link, but there are several options. The ones with note cards are $15, or save $10 if you buy a set. Or $10 without the cards. Of course you have to add shipping in. They are only an inch deep and are 4.625” x 6.875”
I think you left off the link, but here it is:
http://www.fatquartershop.com/comple...product_review

These are about twice as big as the "Charmed" tin by Moda (see other post with link).
I MAY decide to get these.

I have all of the Frivols and am just now getting started. My OCD personality will make me do them in order.
I bought a "kit" several years ago, "Texas Truffle", by Moda, that came in a pretty large tin (here's a link to a PDF, it's on the last page - http://www.unitednotions.com/fcc_chocolat.pdf ). The kit had everything you needed for a large quilt top. I haven't made it yet, but I get it out every so often and "pet" the fabrics.
Huh. After looking more closely at the PDF, it looks like it was more like 10 years ago, not just several. My how time flies when you're buying fabric.

Evidently, I've begun collecting tins. They should fit just fine with the fabric, books, coffee cups and t-shirts.

Thanks everyone for the comments.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:10 AM

I have a lovely tin from 1997 with a "Baltimore Album" Christmas quilt that once held Milky Way candy. I wasn't a quilter back then nor particularly fond of Milky Way, so I don't know how I obtained it. It now holds my collection of small templates.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]557842[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 102_0849red.jpg  
Old 09-09-2016, 08:32 AM

Have never seen them - but what a super gift for a fellow quilter! Thanks for the post.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:26 PM

Default Tin Collection

I have collected all kinds of tins for more than 40 year but I am now paring down and would like to find homes for my collection. Anyone interested?