Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
collecting selvage edges? >

collecting selvage edges?

collecting selvage edges?

Old 02-21-2011, 06:51 AM
Banned

I have a really cute pincushion made out of them!
Old 02-21-2011, 06:54 AM

What is the width that is needed? I could save these for someone, but need an idea of how to cut.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by grugirl
Hooray. I am so excited about this whole selvage thing. I can't wait to get enough to do this funky lamp project. In the past, I have used them to make tropical bird toys with. I have a Goffin Cockatoo and an African Grey and to keep them busy I take my selvage pieces and use a crochet needle to pull them through small wiffle balls. I thread about 40+ and them I gather them up 2 at a time and tie knots. They turn into a giant puffball of scrap balls that they birds play with, preen, chew on and swing from. I never thought to use them as pieces for quilting before.
Sounds like a terrific toy and cheap.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:30 AM

I keep some. I use them in place of string to tie various things up both quilting and general round the house stuff. But will keep them all from now on for the ones who want them.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:01 PM

so the funniets thing happened today...i went to one of my quilt stores, and there in a basket were sandwich bags with selvages in them selling for $4.00 a bag...and they had two quilts on the wall made out of them....so i guess they are all the rage....i will be saving mine from now on.....thanks for all the input.....gina
Old 02-21-2011, 04:46 PM

Here is a fantastic blog!! www.selvageblog.blogspot.com there are some beautiful things made with selvage!!! I am collecting and cut mine bet 1"/11/2"! I would willingly pay postage if anyone in UK has some!!!! There is a book by Karen Griska Quilts from the Selvage Edge.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:10 AM

I have been saving selvage edges from my projects for almost a year now. I only keep about an 1.5 X 8 inch piece with the printed manufacturer info. I will be making a tote when I get enough and think it will be fun to have a remembrance of what I accomplished over time. A friend of mine gave me all of hers too- so thanks for the suggestion of the mug rug. After reading this, I think all of my selvages will be repurposed.

Moda Bakeshop has a selvage pillow tutorial and there a lot of selvage ideas- just Google it.

http://www.modabakeshop.com/2009/03/selvage-pillow.html
Old 02-22-2011, 03:33 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
Here is a fantastic blog!! www.selvageblog.blogspot.com there are some beautiful things made with selvage!!! I am collecting and cut mine bet 1"/11/2"! I would willingly pay postage if anyone in UK has some!!!! There is a book by Karen Griska Quilts from the Selvage Edge.
http://selvageblog.blogspot.com/
Actually, that's Karen's blog.

I don't collect them at all but am constantly amazed at the things people are creating using using them.

I mean, really, check out the Easter bunny on the first page of the blog.

My all time favorite, though, is the dress made by someone in Australia.

http://selvageblog.blogspot.com/2008...carletons.html

The umbrella is pretty cool, too.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:33 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
http://selvageblog.blogspot.com/
Actually, that's Karen's blog.

I don't collect them at all but am constantly amazed at the things people are creating using them.

I mean, really, check out the Easter bunny on the first page of the blog. It's hysterical.

My all time favorite, though, is the dress made by someone in Australia.

http://selvageblog.blogspot.com/2008...carletons.html

The umbrella is pretty cool, too.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:13 AM

They should be cut off at least 1 inch wide. I have a stash of them started for when the mood hits me to make something or give them to someone who will.