Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Color catchers how many times? >

Color catchers how many times?

Color catchers how many times?

Old 04-27-2015, 05:54 AM

I use them until they are almost dark purple. I use fresh Color Catchers on more precious quilts and reuse the sheets on scrappy quilts. Sometimes I have 8 or 9 used ones when washing quilts. Yesterday, I washed a baby quilt with lots of white, Kona berry and teal in it, through in the used color catchers and the quilt was fine and the color catchers ere the same color as when I started - light purple. I never wash my quilts without the sheets. I find organic navy blue the worst for bleeding.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:34 PM

Thanks so much. I washed the fabric with white fabric and a color catcher and the white was still white. The quilt is a gift and will include a box of color catchers. I always get the information or encouragement from all of you
Old 04-28-2015, 08:42 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

To my way of thinking, Color Catchers are a very inexpensive fix for a potential problem....no matter how many one uses. Just do it.

Jan in VA
Old 05-08-2015, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I found that Purex No Sort laundry detergent works great. The whole wash water has the color grabber in it.
Maybe that's why, lately, my laundry has been coming out brighter and not looking as faded as with the Tide pods! I really like the Purex No Sort! Thank you for the tip on the pre-washing fabric in it!
Old 05-08-2015, 12:03 PM

Ladies, I have experienced the bleeding fabrics -- reds and all vibrant colors are at risk for bleeding, I don't care how much the fabric costs. The quilt pictured in my avatar is a prime example. The red fabric: I tested the fabric (a sliver of it) in a glass of hot tap water. Water was a very definite rose pink. Since this quilt was hand-embroidered on whole cloth (white) I decided not to risk it. I searched for a dye fixative, and finally found it on the Ritz Dye website. The shipping cost more than the product. I treated the red as per the instructions, washed the fabric, and tested it again -- NO BLEEDING. Irrespective of that test result, my advice is if you're going to wash a quilt, use color catchers. It's not worth the risk of ruining a quilt -- color catchers are not that expensive!

Jeanette
Old 05-08-2015, 12:16 PM

Today I gifted two quilts to two girls. I saw a look of relief on the mom's face when I told her I had already washed the quilts once.

I've come to love the feel of the wrinkly quilts! I washed with color catchers and let dry.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:42 PM

I use color catches in almost every load I do.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:52 PM

Here's a really good article about avoiding colors bleeding. I use color catchers but if I had one where the color catcher kept coming out full of dye, I'd try this.

http://vickiwelsh.typepad.com/field_...read-this.html