Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Color Options, Need Ideas >

Color Options, Need Ideas

Color Options, Need Ideas

Old 06-10-2018, 06:53 PM

I would look at the pattern as lights, mediums, and darks, and chose your colors from things already in the room, that you really like. Take a black and white picture of the pattern if you need to, to keep things straight. Substitute your room’s dark color for dark gray, medium light color for the light gray, an accent color for the aqua, and a bright pop of color for your orange areas. For the white areas, decide if your room works better with white, a cream color or a pale beige, or even any very pale color, or a shirting print that works with your colors. (or your wall color.)

In my living room, the dark gray color would be a deep sage green, with a lighter green sage as the light gray, the lightest color (white in the pattern) would be my barely pale green from the walls, my mediums would be a (where the aqua is) medium golden tan, and my sparkle color (orange color) would be dark cranberry.
I do hope this helps. Good luck at your class, and remember, your colors do not have to please anyone but you. It is your quilt.

Last edited by madamekelly; 06-10-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:58 PM

Colors - if you favor reds and blues, add some white and make the quilt. Note that I am a big fan of r/w/b quilts - or just about anything r/w/b.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:36 AM

I can see this in several colorways and I have no color sense at all, so just be you! Light/medium/dark in any combination would work. Sage/lilac/purple? Florals? Modern graphic fabrics? Can't wait to see what you make!
Old 06-11-2018, 05:09 PM

Enlarge the picture of the quilt on your printer if you can. Then trace the designs on plain paper and color them in wo see what works. Or even cut pieces of your fabric and glue them on the designs to see how they work.