Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Color Options, Need Ideas

Blog Entries

Color Options, Need Ideas

I'd love to hear your ideas on other color options for "Under the Sea." I'm not a fan of orange, and we have no turquoise or gray in our decor. I don't have design software and am not doing well with plain old graph paper and colored pencils. I'd lean more toward reds, blues, greens, and yellows. I'm not fond of browns. This is a throw size quilt. You may see the picture in the link.

https://www.amazon.com/Under-Quilt-P.../dp/1617451002

Thanks so much for your ideas. I'll be taking this class soon and have to have the fabric bought, washed, and precut, so I don't have as much time as I'd like to play with color options. Your help in greatly appreciated!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    You could go with blue and yellow and call it "in the sky"

You could try shades of blue as the neutrals (grays) and red and yellow as the brights (aqua and orange).
    Lisa

What I would do is choose a color or three that you do like, and do a google image search for those colors. For instance, I googled "navy blue, tan, teal" and got a lot of pictures of rugs, sheets, fabrics, and this duvet cover. At least you can see how some of your colors will work together and in what proportions.

Do you like the white in that sample enough to use it, or are you open to changing it?

Use the natural colors of a beach scene like you see in the photo on the pattern.

The stars in the pattern remind me of a starfish (gold or tan color). Ocean (deep blue), Sky (light blue ), Sand
    (tone on tone colors of creams or white. Add the accent colors you said you lean towards to match your decor...reds and green shades) I wish you a fun time making this pretty quilt.

Take either your blue or your green as your "neutral" pic a light medium and dark of one of those colors. Then use your red and yellow as your brights. here are some options in blue https://www.google.com/search?q=blue...w=1366&bih=637
    Quote Originally Posted by greaterexp View Post
    I'd love to hear your ideas on other color options for "Under the Sea." I'm not a fan of orange, and we have no turquoise or gray in our decor. I don't have design software and am not doing well with plain old graph paper and colored pencils. I'd lean more toward reds, blues, greens, and yellows. I'm not fond of browns. This is a throw size quilt. You may see the picture in the link.

https://www.amazon.com/Under-Quilt-P.../dp/1617451002

and green
    https://www.google.com/search?biw=13....0.Fd9zf0QMypM

Thanks so much for your ideas. I'll be taking this class soon and have to have the fabric bought, washed, and precut, so I don't have as much time as I'd like to play with color options. Your help in greatly appreciated!
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

Maybe think more toward the "southwest" colors? Will that work with your decor? A very dark red might work instead of the orange. Muted shades of green and blue? I feel your frustration. Sometimes it seems to take as long to select the fabric as to actually make the flimsy!

I think I would google pictures using the quilt name and see what others have done.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

pal
    Here's how I look at it. It's called "under the sea" because that's how the artist sees it. If it had a dark blue background and white on white stars you might call it something else. It's really your interpretation. Go for it!
    PACE - Positive Attitude Changes Everything

"All things are literally better, lovlier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."

Blog Entries
    I would look at the pattern as lights, mediums, and darks, and chose your colors from things already in the room, that you really like. Take a black and white picture of the pattern if you need to, to keep things straight. Substitute your room’s dark color for dark gray, medium light color for the light gray, an accent color for the aqua, and a bright pop of color for your orange areas. For the white areas, decide if your room works better with white, a cream color or a pale beige, or even any very pale color, or a shirting print that works with your colors. (or your wall color.)

In my living room, the dark gray color would be a deep sage green, with a lighter green sage as the light gray, the lightest color (white in the pattern) would be my barely pale green from the walls, my mediums would be a (where the aqua is) medium golden tan, and my sparkle color (orange color) would be dark cranberry.
    I do hope this helps. Good luck at your class, and remember, your colors do not have to please anyone but you. It is your quilt.
    Last edited by madamekelly; 06-10-2018 at 07:03 PM.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Colors - if you favor reds and blues, add some white and make the quilt. Note that I am a big fan of r/w/b quilts - or just about anything r/w/b.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

I can see this in several colorways and I have no color sense at all, so just be you! Light/medium/dark in any combination would work. Sage/lilac/purple? Florals? Modern graphic fabrics? Can't wait to see what you make!
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Enlarge the picture of the quilt on your printer if you can. Then trace the designs on plain paper and color them in wo see what works. Or even cut pieces of your fabric and glue them on the designs to see how they work.