Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
color rendition >

color rendition

color rendition

Old 06-21-2012, 06:03 AM

Default color rendition

Well, I won agift certificate for some fabric on line so, I cashed it in and purchased extra because I felt cheap just buying the certificate amount. The fabric was a moda fabric, pale pink, just what I wanted, UNTIL it came, the website showed it as pink background with small rose flowers, the actual fabric when it came was PEACH and had orange fabrics, the shops owner, sorry for confusion on my part, not on her end. Well guess what, I checked Modas site and looked at hers and Modas on 2 other computers we own, ONLY hers was off. SO have any of you had similar nasty surprises and unsympathetic online sellers?
Old 06-21-2012, 06:25 AM

No I haven't had this experience but I thank you for the info. Next time I go for something online I will look on other sites to make sure all colors match and it's what I want. That's one of the reasons I prefer to see and touch. So sorry this online seller didn't do anything to try to make you happy.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:02 AM

It is the risk you take when purchasing online, which is why most of the time I shop at the LQS or at least check the line at the LQS before purchasing it online.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:15 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Buy complimentary fabrics from another source and make a quilt with this fabric quickly; you'll likely be surprised how you will like the finished product. You could call it "The pink Quilt That Wasn't" or something!

Jan in VA
Old 06-21-2012, 10:40 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

You know, even Moda has pictures on their site with the colors wrong. Case in point: I have a lot of their Marbles, but when I look at the actual fabrics next to one another, and then look at the colors on their site, well, I often have to tweak their pictures before putting them on my site.

'Cause I don't want anyone to be disappointed!

We also try to be careful, by looking at every bolt that comes in the door, and then looking at the picture we have (generally taken from the manufacturer's site) to be sure that it is accurate. Most of them are good, but I would say about 3% - 5% have to be re-pictured.

That said, computer monitors can display colors very differently!

So, if in doubt, go by the verbal description of a fabric.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:18 PM

It's iffy buying fabrics on line as far as color goes. When I shop at fabric.com I try to buy fron the same line and still a gamble. But fabric.com allows you to return it postage paid.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:31 PM
Power Poster

Yes I had the same type of experience with a Kaufmann Batik. I'm very familiar with the their fabrics but when I got my order the fabric color was way different than the website showed. "The Owner" was very nasty and said she had never had anyone complain about Kaufmann Batiks and it must be MY monitor. She made me feel like scum for wanting to return it. Needless to say I opted out of receiving anymore notices from them and put them on my " do not order" list.