Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Color? >

Color?

Color?

Old 04-09-2011, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by tweezy50
I have been watching this board for a while now and have come to the conclusion that a lot of what makes a quilt pretty, beautiful, or gorgeous are your color combinations. Seems like most of you can take the simplest pattern and make it stand out by your color combinations. Mine on the other hand are .........yawnable, if there is such a word. I've got the light, medium, and dark down, but how do you decide which colors will "pop"? Please let me in on the secret. Apparently color coordinating wasn't one of the genes I picked up.
If I am on my own I ask my friends at the LQS to help. They always help me out but I usually do the final decision and it usually works out right.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by tweezy50
I have been watching this board for a while now and have come to the conslusion that alot of what makes a quilt pretty, beautiful, or gorgeous are your color combinations. Seems like most of you can take the simplest pattern and make it stand out by your color combinations. Mine on the other hand are .........yawnable, if there is such a word. I've got the light, medium, and dark down, but how do you decide which colors will "pop"? Please let me in on the secret. Apparently color coordinating wasn't one of the genes I picked up.
Would it be of any value to you to look at some larger prints--------any fabric content-----------and see what colors a designer has put together to produce a pretty flower or an eye catching geometric? For that matter, how about going to an art gallery and looking at the paintings that catch you eye. In a landscape you might find colored flowers that make a picture stand out. In an abstract you might find two opposites and a third color to reallty pop--------such as black and white with hot pink (or lime, or orange, or red or ......)
Old 04-12-2011, 03:41 PM

If I am unsure about a color combination I take a photo with my mobile phone and have a look, this way I don't have the distraction of other bolts of fabric to confuse the issue.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:50 PM

Hi Tweezy, I live in Nebraska,also. Wondering in which part of the state you are living. I'm near Omaha. I struggle with color selection and usually just follow the colors of the pattern I am using. Although, at my first quilting class they did point out the little dots in the selvage and that does help. You can look for a focus fabric that catches your eye and then use the dots for coordinating fabric. One day when I was complaining to the LQS shop owner about my trouble with color, she said to me, well, did you dress yourself this morning because you seem to look OK. LOL. I do try to remember that.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Suziuki
If I am unsure about a color combination I take a photo with my mobile phone and have a look, this way I don't have the distraction of other bolts of fabric to confuse the issue.
I do that with my digital camera. That way I am not wasting fabric if it doesn't look right.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by suern3
Hi Tweezy, I live in Nebraska,also. Wondering in which part of the state you are living. I'm near Omaha. I struggle with color selection and usually just follow the colors of the pattern I am using. Although, at my first quilting class they did point out the little dots in the selvage and that does help. You can look for a focus fabric that catches your eye and then use the dots for coordinating fabric. One day when I was complaining to the LQS shop owner about my trouble with color, she said to me, well, did you dress yourself this morning because you seem to look OK. LOL. I do try to remember that.
I'm near Omaha too!!!!