Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which color??

Which color??

So, about ten- twelve yrs ago I took a class to make this quilt.. I think I must have used some of the fabric for another project..so when I wanted to finish this, I only had 1/4 yd. I need at least another yard for small border and binding.

I ordered online from PA ..too light, Fabric.com too dark, from a quilt store too bright, from a friend also bright. I think I know what the correct color is..Moda Marbles--Denim, but I have already spent over $50. is it worth continue to order online, just in case?? The second from left is the correct fabric. What would you do?

These are my options:Name:  100_2460.JPG
Views: 1562
Size:  79.5 KB

I might go with one of the other colors in your print just to keep things interesting...like the pink/peach or green. Might add a little extra pop.

You have blue in the floral print does your border have to be a perfect match to the blue lattice??? I would use the second from the left I wouldn't risk getting another blue you are unhappy with.
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

I think you could do the second but I think the third one would work too since it appears to have some lighter blue in it.

By the way, love the quilt!
    Sue

Blog Entries
    i vote for the second from left... i think it will ground the dark lattice strips
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Power Poster
    That pattern has been on my bucket list.

I do understand the reluctance to spend more money on a project - but if you have located the "right" fabric - and can afford it - I would buy the "right" one.

Have you posted in the In Search Of section - or tried www.missingfabrics.com

Someone might have some in their stash.

Do you remember what the fabric line was when you purchased it?
    Last edited by bearisgray; 05-24-2017 at 12:32 PM.

I like the left, or 4th from the left.
    What are you planning to use for the binding. That might be a good choice too.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I think the second from the left has the right value.

I didn"t word this post correctly. The second from the left is the one in the quilt...I only have 1/4 yd.

Moda Marbles do not have names or numbers on the selvages. So trying to match online is difficult.

Is there a local quilt shop you can take the quilt to? Then you can match either the blue you want, or one of the other colors in person. It'd be cheaper to pay the $11-14 for the 1 yard than to pay shipping again from an online place and have it be wrong. Yes, trying to match online is difficult unless you know the exact full name or the number off the end of the bolt.

Power Poster
    Are there any sites that you could send in a scrap of your fabric and see if they have a match for it?

Although I would be reluctant to part with any of it - - - -

Then I would use the middle light color since it has similar colors to both the dark and light lattice, and bind w/ that far left darkest.
    Quote Originally Posted by mamagrande View Post
    I didn"t word this post correctly. The second from the left is the one in the quilt...I only have 1/4 yd.
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

Power Poster
    It almost looks like some of the VIP/Cranston mottled prints that I have.

Quote Originally Posted by mamagrande View Post
    How much do you need?

I seriously doubt you will find that same blue, because of dye lots. If it were me I would use the middle one. I think once stitched on and quilted it will blend well with the lattice strips. It will be a very pretty quilt when finished.

Gay
    Blog Entries
    Is your 1/4 yd enough to do a 1/2" strip (cut 1") around the edge, or binding? If so I would do that and add a border of the lighter fabric as it picks up the lighter blue in the floral fabric

Quote Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
    Then I would use the middle light color since it has similar colors to both the dark and light lattice, and bind w/ that far left darkest.
    That is what I was about to suggest. I think the ones on the right are too bright.

That is a very cute quilt! I think that if it were me trying to decide, I would order the one I think is correct and then decide it IS correct and finish it on up. The other fabrics can always go in another quilt. This quilt is just too cute to not finish the way you want it. (I say to decide the fabric is correct because you know it probably won't be perfect....)

Dina

Blog Entries
    do you have more piecing to do or just a border you need fabric for? if border, use either of the blues to the right. I think you've tried hard enough to match exactly. it will turn out well so go for it.

Is there any chance you have a Beverly Fabrics near your home? The one that I live near in San Diego carries the Moda Marbled fabric - I use it a lot and there is a good chance they would have it. You may be able to call and see if they have it. If you want to go with what you have, I would use either the darkest one on the left or the center one, since it kind of picks up the light and dark of both of your blues.

Quote Originally Posted by SuziSew View Post
    I think you could do the second but I think the third one would work too since it appears to have some lighter blue in it.

By the way, love the quilt!
    I agree with SuziSew

Well, I just ordered 2 yds of Dutch Blue 9880-42 for $23. and if this is not it then I will use the closest one. After I finish this quilt I will then have to look for a pattern that uses different blues in a quilt. haha

I want a 4 inch blue border and then I'll add a 6" floral border then I want the blue for binding. The quilt will end up being 86 x 86. I still don't who I will give this to, but I will probably keep it for now and write on the label who it goes to when I'm gone.

Thanks for all your comments it did pushed me in the direction that I took.

This is one of those cases where I would look locally to find a blue to match. Blues are almost impossible to match when buying online. I would try to match the dark blue lattice.

South East Michigan...at the bottom of the thumb!
    Take the other pieces out of the picture and audition the 3rd from the left by itself. Just walk by it every now and then and see if it begins to look like it belongs there. I hate when I run out of a perfect fabric and can't find any more. Sometimes I take pictures of each choice and keep looking to see which one works best. I understand not wanting to buy more, it is irritating to have a stash and not find the perfect match in it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast