Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: So.....It's Come To This

So.....It's Come To This

I can't begin to tell you how many times in the last couple of years I have sewn with the wrong settings on my machine. It starts up with settings that I need to change. I forget so often. Well, a few days ago, I had to take an 8 1/2 x 11 paper and write a large note that I leave on the machine just under the needle. This will work well for me until I forget to put the note on the machine.

63 and falling apart.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    I'm 58 and doing the same thing at times. don't worry, you're in good company
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Right there with you, sticky notes save me--if I remember to use them...
    “Come to me all you who are weary and I will give you rest”~Jesus

My machine always turned on with the needle all the way to the left. ?Makes no sense whatsoever? Thanks to a poster here I learned how to reset it so the needle is always in the center position when it turns on. I have a Brother but so far has worked on every machine that has programmable settings.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I often pin, tape (whatever it takes) notes to my machine and projects so I don't forget what to do next, where I'm at, machine settings, etc. You are not alone. I'm 67 now but I used to do this when I still worked and was much younger. It helped me to start the day right.

I write notes for EVERYTHING and put them where I WILL see them. I do that for my machine, too. (I take a photo of my settings if there's one I must not lose--in addition to writing it on paper-because I've lost sticky notes.) And I'm barely past 50.

Power Poster
    You are in good company. Sigh.

Blog Entries
    52, and I visit your world often. I also try to re-set my machine immediately following a change up. Otherwise, rip, rip, rip.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

Cut yourself lots of slack because you deserve it!
    As much as I hate it, my seam ripper is my best friend.

Blog Entries
    What did we do before sticky notes?? The paper probably fell on the floor, and never seen again. Hmmmmm.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Sandra,
    Before we had Sticky Notes, we also didn't have all these AI (artificial intelligence!) machines either! We were lucky to have 10 different stitches on our basic machines, and virtually anyone who owned one could make basic maintenance on them. Sometimes I wonder if we've actually done ourselves any favors with all this 'new fangled' stuff. I quit using my first computerized machine, New Home's Memorycraft 7500 - early 1990s, because I ruined so many needles by forgetting to reset each time I started sewing....when I was in my late 40s! I love, love, love my vintage Bernina 1031 because it does what I want it to, when I want it to. Anyone want a used New Home?

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I sew on one of two straight stitch only machines. Needle is only where it should be, it doesn't move. They make me look smart because there is nothing to remember or program.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I always wondered why my neighbor had these words taped to her machines; "Ready? Set?" It lets her know to check her settings. I have it taped to mine also.

I haven't resorted to putting notes on my machine yet - but I should! How many times have I merrily started stitching only to realize it's not at the 1/4" setting??? Too many to count. Sigh.

I had to put a post-it note on my machine for the exact same reason!
    Lori

DJ
    Yep, notes save the day for me, too!

Boston1954, you are not alone. Now, what was it you were saying? Lost somewhere in Norwell but happy in my quilting space.
    Charlie DiSante

I would love it if you'd share how to reset this! My Brother does it as well. Can't tell you how many times I've forgotten to move that danged needle! This is my backup machine and I always forget to move it when I turn it on!
    I am too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed!

The setting info is on youtube. Super easy to do. I set every guild member's machines that has the memory feature. You can set for the machine to remember where you want the needle to be when you turn on the machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfq-GW88DsA Thank you Bobby! (a poster here) Watch all his videos, he knows his stuff.

I have sticky notes too. and I always leave the machine needle-down in a leader ender block, If I have to lift the presser foot to start then I remember to check the settings.

I put sticky notes on my bathroom mirror. Sometimes in the middle of the night I will think of something else that I need to remember & up it goes on the mirror. I've been known to have 3 or 4 plastered up there at one time. I've been putting notes under my machine pressure foot for years now. The bathroom & sewing machine are the two places I frequent all day long...oh, and my computer. I used to put sticky notes on my monitor screen until I discovered the "sticky notes" app on the computer. It was already on my computer when I bought it about 3 years ago....love it!

All I can say is "thank goodness for post it notes". Every time I turn off my sewing machine I lose my settings that I was previously sewing with. I am with all of you ladies!

Hey, I do the same thing and I'm in my early 40's. I stuck a nice looking "chalkboard" sticker to my machine, and I use a chalk pen to write whatever notes I need to leave for myself on that. It's bold and hard to miss, and easily rubs off with my thumb.

I've always had a terrible memory though; it's not an age thing for me, it's just how I'm put together. I've ALWAYS been forgetful.

I rather have the setting changed and not have to worry about remembering. I had all my Brothers default settings changed. Seems only the computerized ones have the crazy default setting that no one uses for piecing.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    Yep, 75 and can relate!! Luckily my Pfaff comes up with the needle right on my stitch line! I would loathe having to move it every time I want to sew!!
    Last edited by Kitsie; 05-23-2017 at 11:48 AM.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast