Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Color

I have the hardest time choosing colors for my quilts. I took a class on colors and that did help, but when I go to the fabric store, it can take me an hour just to pick about 3 or 4 colors that go together. If anyone has a suggestion, please let me know.

Follow your heart. Pick colors you like and find either fabrics that match or contrast. The main thing is that you are happy with it. Just follow your instinct. One hour is not long to pick the colors you will be looking at every time you see this quilt.

Thanks, I will go with it...

I once spent over 4 hours in our LQS trying to figure out the colors/fabrics for a twin bed quilt pattern. I have a hard time with it, too.

so, how do you do it now? Or are you still strugging. :?:

At least now, I know I am not alone.... :-D

I think it helps to pick out a print that you really like, and use the colors from that to design your quilt. You might not even use the original print, but you've taken the color pallette from it. (I learned this from someone else on this Board, so thought I would pass it on.)

it's a struggle every time.Visualizing what the colors and fabric patterns will look like together is hard. I've gone so far as to just get a small sample and scan the fabric into my scanner, take it into my graphic design software, and "build" the quilt on my computer, so I can get a sense if it'll look alright.

I have the quilt Wizard program it was like $30.00 It has limited fabric choices but I can usually put something together that is a close match. I then can go shopping for fabric. It is so much fun to see your picture emerge into a quilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now, this is true... I learned that in my color class, that does help.... but some times I get a little thrown off when I want to use just solid colors.... this is when I have a problem... :-(

I meant to send this to you.. Now, this is true... I learned that in my color class, that does help.... but some times I get a little thrown off when I want to use just solid colors.... this is when I have a problem

okay

Sometimes you can take a look around you..the colors of a sunrise or sunset, a beautiful garden, a forest...the colors of nature always compliment each other.

Blog Entries
    I think picking out fabric is the hardest part of making a quilt. I have such a hard time with it too. It seems like I always end up with one fabric that I'm not totally happy with, but I never seem to figure that out until the quilt has been put together. It's frustrating. I am getting ready to make a french braid and picking out the fabrics scares me to death.

I will add, it does get easier. My problem is I have two natures. One wants all the brightest, gaudiest fabrics possible. The other wants the calm pastels. The only think I am sure of is that I don't like colors that are grayed. I want clear colors. Just get to know your likes and dislikes.

Another trick I learned in my color class was to pick a favorite object or picture for inspiration. Look at the colors. I picked my grandmother's candy dish for my inspiration. It was one of the easiest quilts to pick fabrics for and it's one of my very favorites.

Oops! That printed twice. Sorry. You don't need to read that twice. :lol: My words of "wisdom" aren't that wise!

I have a problem picking colors too. I read somewhere to use the colors shown on the selvage, and I think that helps.

Blog Entries
    For starters, you could pick a few colors from the same collection. They are designed to go together and it might help while you build up your confidence.

Blog Entries
    An hour is not that long picking out fabrics :D:D:D
    I have spent waaaay longer than that, and in several different stores, making it a full day event LOL
    Picking out the right shade, tone, size of print, takes some thought and time. Savor this step as much as the others, you can always ask for help at the LQS, too :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by kasmitty1
    it's a struggle every time.Visualizing what the colors and fabric patterns will look like together is hard. I've gone so far as to just get a small sample and scan the fabric into my scanner, take it into my graphic design software, and "build" the quilt on my computer, so I can get a sense if it'll look alright.
    I do the same thing. I have problems choosing colors and fabric. I have started limiting myself to 3 or 4 colors/fabrics per quilt, thinking that I could work up to more fabrics as I go. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't.

I guess, practice, practice, practice, will do it. If I have to go back for a replacement fabric, at least I have the original one to go in my stash, so it isn't wasted.

I used to have a hard time with color.... most of my quilts turned out either with too many colors that didn't go together, or they were too plain.... I made a color wheel from the paint chips at Home Depot, that helped alot; then I mostly read 'color magic for quilters' that help even more. now when I start thinking about a quilt it always starts with 'I think I'll make a ( color) quilt'..... then I use the color wheel I made, I tend to make either monotone, or 3 color quilts these days unless it's a scrap quilt, (every other quilt!) I am SOOOOO much happier with the results!

I have a hard time putting colors together for a quilt also, that is why I mostly make scrap quilts.

I use Joen Wolfrom's 3-in-1 color tool to provide me with guidance.
    http://www.amazon.com/3-Color-Tool-J.../dp/1571205969

Yvonne - I have a color sense similiar to yours-just can't make myself use any grayed colors. Clear and bright or clear and pastels are always my choice.

I have found that over analyzing is not a good thing. Go with your gut, your first impression and don't try to match too exactly.

One little trick is using the color dots along the selvege of most fabrics. They are the colors used in the dyes that make up the print. If two fabrics have the same dot colors, you're home free. (oops, didn't see your post hokieappmom. sorry)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast