Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Color >

Color

Color

Old 04-28-2010, 09:34 AM

I'm so undecisive! I change my mind alot! Cutting is the last thing I head for cause it committs me to that material...lol...I walk around like a lost puppy! Usually end up liking what I end up with, so I just grin and go with the rest!
Old 04-28-2010, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

I limit my colors to 4 to 6 unless it is a scrappy quilt. Even with scrappy I eliminate certain colors. In my Autumn log cabin scrappy I had no blue, purple or pink. This helps me with my choice. If my quilt needs a lift I will add a little yellow. I use green to earth a quilt. I never worry about colors because borders are marvellous for pulling the quilt together.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:30 PM

All of your better fabrics have little dots along the bias showing all the colors used and a fabric so If you pick a print you really like you can look at the little dots of color along the edge and you will find the colors and shades used in the print. You already know these colors work together because you have seen them in the print. Even if you don't use the print you have solid colors that go well together.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:00 PM

I can usually do OK with the colors, but all too often they are almost all 'medium' with not enough contrast in value to make the design really show up.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:25 PM
Power Poster

I can't help you. I have the same problem.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:14 AM

Go to the library and check out a couple of different books on color for quilters. I have learned different things that help me from each book I've tried, although I'm still struggling with color. Jinny Beyer has a good book on color, I forget the name. She doesn't rely on the color wheel. It's out of print, I think, but the library might have it. Even if you don't aspire to make the sort of quilts Jinny makes (which I don't) her ideas on color and shade can be very helpful. THere are some very intersting pictures of the same quilt using exact matching colors of the colors in the focal fabric, and some using a color a shade or two deeper and I think a shade or two lighter than the exact matches as well, and it really makes the quilt pop to have the deeper and lighter colors.

Sometimes the best thing is just to look at what "looks right" together. I tried to pick colors for a quilt using only the color wheel, and I wasn't as happy with those choices as I was with the ones I finally decided on just going by what "looked right" to me. I own "Color for the Terrified QUilter" by Sharon Pederson and someone else, but I haven't actually gone through and done any of the color practice quilts in the book, which might be part of my problem with picking colors by the color wheel.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:09 AM

justgot backfrom a trip to fl.for dd's 50 bday,met up in alabama w/quilting rriend i met on this board.feel like we've been friends forever !she took me to her lqs & picked out 4 of the MOST gorgeous fabrics in about 10 min{if that!!!!]she was amazing ! now if i could just take her w/me...............dar
Old 07-25-2010, 05:31 AM

Dar isnt it great to meet up with one of the friends on the board. I have met several but we dont live close enough to each other to quilt together .It seems as if we have known each other forever. lol
Old 07-25-2010, 06:24 AM

Look around your house. What colors do you see? These
are colors you like so why not choose them for your quilt?
Choose different size prints, prints that appear solid, a tone on tone for background fabric and you have what you need. :lol: