Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Color thoughts - would this work in theory? >

Color thoughts - would this work in theory?

Color thoughts - would this work in theory?

Old 07-28-2023, 05:30 PM

Default Color thoughts - would this work in theory?

I'm thinking of doing a quilt with only one print fabric and the rest solid colors of fabric that are also in the print fabric. It would be the one print fabric with 4 or 5 solid colors of fabric. The print fabric would be the main focus in a large center block (Beacon of Lights Block) Plus a few smaller blocks of the Beacon of Lights Block, surrounded by Delectable Mountain Blocks.

The Beacon of Lights Block would have the center being the print fabric, and the other parts of that block would consist of 4 other solid colors.

All of the Delectable Mountain Blocks would be two solid colors, all of these Blocks being the same two colors thoughout the quilt. A cream for the mountain background, and green for the mountains, a little darker than the green on the print fabric.

What are your thoughts on something like this? As in one print and the rest being solids? The print is a medium print, full with little background showing, with birds, leaves, and flowers filling the fabric in soft colors of fawn brown, pale green, soft peach, a slightly darker peach, and cream.

The colors I have look great together, I'm mainly wondering about only having one print. I'm really looking at that print to be the focus of the quilt (will also be the borders) as the fabric is special to me and I don't want other prints to draw it away from the focus.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 07-28-2023 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-28-2023, 05:48 PM

You might want to substitute one or two fabrics that "read" as solids for a couple of the solids. That may make a more gentle transition between the print and the rest of the fabrics.
Old 07-28-2023, 06:11 PM

I thought about that too, so all of the solids I plan on using are faux linen colors, so none of the solids are a flat solid. I plan on the backing being a Faded Cambray (it is a fawn color) The Cambray has a bit of a stronger faux linen look.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 07-28-2023 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-28-2023, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsfor View Post
I thought about that too, so all of the solids I plan on using are faux linen colors, so none of the solids are a flat solid. I plan on the backing being a Faded Cambray (it is a fawn color) The Cambray has a bit of a stronger faux linen look.
That sounds lovely!
Old 07-29-2023, 06:02 AM

This is a time-honoured strategy for choosing a palette...pull the colours out of your focus fabric. You can also take two or three of the colours and use slightly different hues of that colour to add some interest and sparkle.

ie. if one of your colours for your solids is blue, use three very similar but different intensities of that blue. Using the Kona swatch card Row 18 as an example, if your print contains the colour Periwinkle (#285), then wherever you plan to use that Periwinkle, sub in some Blueberry, or Candy Blue, or Blue Jay.

Last edited by WesternWilson; 07-29-2023 at 06:06 AM.
Old 07-29-2023, 08:41 AM

I've looked at the two blocks, it sounds very exciting! My first thought is that the print might look weak surrounded by solids, especially with a cream background. How much of the print do you have? Would you consider using the print as the background?

I have kitted up a quilt that was built around a fabric line, but the fat quarters weren't enough, so I chose a bunch of solids so I'd have enough fabric. This echos Synnove's suggestion of bringing in some fabrics that aren't solids, so there isn't such a stark contrast between the prints and the solids. Or, if you haven't bought the solids yet, choose some 'nearly solids' like grunge (there are tons of such nearly solids out there now).

Finally, I would echo WesterWilson's suggestion of not matching your print shades exactly, but aiming to harmonize with shades that vary slightly. This will give your quilt more depth. Can't wait to see how this develops!
Old 07-29-2023, 09:22 AM

This is the print fabric - I purchased it years ago, have no idea where.

Faux Linen I'm planning on using is found here: Faux Linen at Connecting Threads
You can see the linen look when you click on the pictures. (note: it is 100% quilting cotton)

I'm looking at possibly using -
Herb, Basil or the Sage for the mountains (not sure which one yet), with the Cream for the 'sky' in the mountain blocks
and for the Beacon of Lights blocks, the Honeysuckle, Fawn, Misty Green, and either the Chai or Cantaloupe

There will be: one large center block of the Beacon of Lights Block, 4 smaller Beacon of Lights Blocks, 8 full blocks of the print fabric, and 48 mountain blocks.

The Delectable Mountain blocks will be radiating out from the center block on all four sides, the other blocks will be arranged in an x pattern with the center block at the center cross of the x.

Attached Thumbnails floral-birds.jpg  

Last edited by quiltsfor; 07-29-2023 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-29-2023, 04:18 PM

I would do it as you described. I have no qualms with using one print combined with all solids. but then again, I am no artist or color theorist. But if you like the way the fabrics look together laid out on your table, then they will also look great in the quilt. It may just give your print fabric a strong contrast that makes it stand out even more
Old 07-29-2023, 05:01 PM

I think joe’s mom is onto something here. Solids can look very saturated and heavy, no matter how well they match, and your focus print is so delicate.

How about a very fine stripe as another print? A peach and white, with very fine lines, maybe?

hugs,
charlotte
Old 07-30-2023, 02:25 AM

Default Color thoughts - would this work in theory?

I love all the ideas. When I looked at your fabric, the 1st thing I thought of was to applique a few birds scattered around in the solid blocks. Can't wait to see what you decided when you post a photo.