Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16

Thread: Colored pencils and quilting

I have read many a tutorial. I order the pencils and cant wait to try them out. I read where the fabric medium makes the fabric a bit stiffer. but when you wash the pc it will soften up. also, once you add the water to the inktense it becomes permanent. you need to pay attention to the pencils also as there is inktense and there is watercolor. the watercolor is not permanent. I am going to try the aloe gel though.i know you can only dampen the pencil w/the water don't really want it wet. thank you!

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, Jane--wasn't sure if it was totally set after the aloe dries. The fabric medium is a LOT more expensive than aloe and the aloe doesn't feel stiff. Jane's info is wonderful!

Here is the fabric that I'm working on for the g-boys stockings--I'll quilt it on the long arm (the background) and then cut out stocking shapes. You can see the part I've aloe gelled and the part that isn't done yet. Name:  resized inktense pic.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  540.2 KB

Beautiful lily!

elnan, don't add any water to the aloe vera gel. I color and add gel first and then quilt. But you can quilt and then color and add gel or fabric medium.

puma, after coloring with Inktense pencils one needs a moistening agent to activate the dry ink so it goes into the fibers of the fabric. You can use a brush with water. Depending on the size of brush and how much water is on the brush tip ... the ink may bleed. You can use a small amount of aloe gel on the brush to scrub the ink into the fabric. Regardless of whether you use water or aloe gel ... when dry ... the ink is permanent. It does not need to be heat-set.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the tutorials, Jane! I am in the process of making a portrait quilt that means a lot to me, featuring my daughter. I wanted to use the pencils to add subtle shading in certain areas around the eyes and face.

Also, I ordered the 24 pack which contains a white pencil. Do you know if the white will show up on darker fabrics? I would love to use it as a highlight in the eyes.

One last question! If you use aloe gel, it must be washed out afterwards, correct? If you use fabric medium, do you also have to wash it?

Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom
    I am a homeschool mom to four little ladies, a prayerful wonderer and marveller, a spirit-filled dancer, a meek and mighty warrior, and a friend to many small creatures. Nice to meet you!

Blog Entries
    Very beautiful. The colors are so vibrant. You are a very talented lady.
    Robin Violette

Blog Entries
    beautiful work
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

janeknapp
    Please,Please write a tutorial on how you did this technique.
    Your quilt blocks are just breath taking. The color just pops.
    When you do the watercolor pencils or Inktense pencils technique on fabric for use in your quilting.
    Will the quilts be washable? Does the color wash out any?
    This is so beautiful and different.
    Last edited by Littledreamdevil; 06-21-2016 at 07:44 PM.
    Hello my name is Delilah.
    I like to quilt, Sew, garden and cook.
    I use a vintage Kenmore 15813450 8 stitch sewing machine.
    I call her "Little Girl".

Wholeheart Mom, white will not show on darker fabrics. You should probably use white fabric paint. You don't have to wash out the aloe vera gel or the fabric medium. The thing about the aloe gel is that if it is NOT washed out and you want to add more color on top of it, the additional color may not go into the fabric.

Littledreamdevil, look at post # 374 for a tutorial I have written. Thanks for your views. I love the color of these inks, too. The quilts are washable and the color will not wash out. However, some of the color gets mixed with the aloe vera gel when it is brushed on, so a little color might come off when washed.

puma, don't dip the pencil tip into water. If water gets into the wood, it will split. You can wet a brush with water and then brush color from the tip of the pencil if desired.

this looks so fun, I gave myself a set for my birthday after reading your posts. thanks!
    "The only war that matters is the war against the imagination." - D. DiPrima

thank you that's why I also bought blocks.

puma, I have the blocks, too. Here is an art quilt where I used Derwent Inktense pencils to color the turtle and trees along the bank.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's so pretty!! I'll have to try that! Does the color wash away or do you only use this on things you don't wash?

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    and it is getting harder and harder to find the clear one..they put green dye it all now...ick...
    I have a good supply of aloe vera gel. Aloe Vera Gel is good for any skin irritation, even surgical scars and shingles. It is in a green bottle at Trader Joe's, but comes out clear.

Jane, your art quilts are beyond gorgeous and soooo inspiring! My inktense pencils have finally arrived and I can't wait to play with them. Thanks for the tutorial and for sharing this process with us all
    I am a homeschool mom to four little ladies, a prayerful wonderer and marveller, a spirit-filled dancer, a meek and mighty warrior, and a friend to many small creatures. Nice to meet you!

Becky's Crafts, no, the color does not wash away. The ink is permanent when dry.

Thanks to all for your compliments. I hope you have fun making your own projects with Inktense pencils.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16