Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
colors and quilting methods >

colors and quilting methods

colors and quilting methods

Old 08-06-2016, 05:31 AM

Default colors and quilting methods

Hello!

I have a question for the group. I was given a hand-stitched quilt top by a friend; she asked that I finish it out and donate for the bazaar. While cleaning a small stain, I noticed that the green color was rubbing off very easily. So, I wondered, should I finish the quilt? Will the colors run and ruin it? See photos for more details. Also, another question: since the quilt is completely hand stitched, should I finish it by tying or by machine quilting? And this will only happen if I can resolve whether the colors will run when it is washed.

Thanks for any replies!![ATTACH=CONFIG]555375[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]555376[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails quilt-joan-april-2016-1004x1024-.jpg   quilt-joan-april-2016-1-1024x752-.jpg  
Old 08-06-2016, 05:58 AM

can you finish it and then wash it with color catchers? or wash it now with color catchers before investing time and supplies?
Old 08-06-2016, 06:20 AM

Could you ask your friend if she has any scraps of the green for you to test for color-fastness?

My inclination would be to tie rather than machine quilt since it is hand pieced.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

If it's rubbing off, it's called 'crocking'. I like the idea of getting some scraps to experiment with. It will have to be washed before donating.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:51 AM

I don't think there are any scraps to test. I agree with tie method. Thanks!
Old 08-06-2016, 06:52 AM

I've never tried the color catchers. I guess I need to purchase some. Is this a Wal-Mart item?
Old 08-06-2016, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

I would definitely finish that beautiful quilt. It looks like it's very well made. I would have no hesitation machine quilting it, even though the top was stitched by hand.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by cajunowl View Post
I've never tried the color catchers. I guess I need to purchase some. Is this a Wal-Mart item?
I bought mine at Krogers.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by cajunowl View Post
I bought some at Walmart.

Dina
Old 08-06-2016, 07:47 AM

There is not a single good answer for this. Working with vintage fabrics is certainly trickier than working with new fabrics & you didn't say if this was a new quilt created with vintage fabrics, or if it is actually from the 1940's. If it's from the 40's, it's possible the fixative has started to break down & is no longer holding the dye as well. In that case, you could try washing it in Synthropol & then re-setting the dyes with Retayne.

To prevent crocking, you need to reduce the friction. When spot cleaning, you want to dab up & down, rather than rubbing side to side. When washing, you want to use cold water & set on the lowest speed your washer has. Ideally, it would be dried by putting a large sheet out on the lawn & setting the quilt/top on that to dry. Air drying helps because it eliminates the friction caused by tumble drying.

But neither these methods nor Color Catchers are a guarantee the color won't bleed or crock. Crocking, in particular, can happen in the dryer & these products all work in the washing machine. If it was me, I'd check with the person who gave me the top & let her know what's going on to see how she'd like to proceed, knowing that there are possibilities to deal with the crocking, but nothing is guaranteed & laundering possibly could end up changing the coloration of the quilt top.

As to your other questions -- yes, you can buy Shout Color Catchers at Wal-Mart, Target, K-Mart, most grocery stores, etc. And I think either hand tying or machine quilting would look nice. I'd make the decision based on which design best supports the hand applique/piecing -- there are strong arguments either way.