Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
comforting news from the Moda rep >

comforting news from the Moda rep

comforting news from the Moda rep

Old 06-23-2011, 09:22 AM

Thank you so much for sharing this info. Moda is my favorite line of fabrics. :thumbup:
Old 06-23-2011, 10:02 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by jillaine
Nan, I really appreciate that you periodically post news like this, providing the behind-the-scenes (or should I say cutting counters) insights, updates, etc. and seeking our input. I wish more retailers would do this.
Even I am not quite as much "in the loop" as I would like to be! Sometimes it's a comment that someone posts here on the forum that gets me to wondering about something, and then I go to my sources for an answer, or more information. I share what I find out.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by thrums
ok...I need some education please

What does the 60X60 mean? Is that the thread size?

Is the cotton quality the same in 60X60 and 70X70?

Thank you.
60x60 is a measure of the thread count. It doesn't address the thread size (thickness of the individual threads). So you could have a 60x60 cloth with thicker or thinner threads; it's probably not the case that all 60x60s are created equal either.

But getting into thread size is probably way more technical information than the fabric companies are going to want to release... and my guess is that would be because they are sourcing the fabrics from different mills and there could be small variations in the fabrics; maybe not even enough that we would notice but that if they put ALL the specs out there in writing, they might open themselves up for trouble in the case of even the slightest differences.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:11 AM

Thank you for the info on the moda fabrics. I purchased the dragonfly summer line from lqs and didn't think the quality was there. Also it has many flaws in some of the line. I was so thankful I could get my quilt out of it, but I did have to piece my borders just because of flaws. I haven't talked to any moda people about this, but it is now the second line I had this problem with. I purchased 5yds of one color and 3yds of another and so forth. My quilt is approx. 100"x100". so needed the fabric. Still want to make pillow cases.
Thank You

Suzy
Old 06-23-2011, 10:11 AM

NICE :D
Old 06-23-2011, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Suzy
Thank you for the info on the moda fabrics. I purchased the dragonfly summer line from lqs and didn't think the quality was there. Also it has many flaws in some of the line. I was so thankful I could get my quilt out of it, but I did have to piece my borders just because of flaws. I haven't talked to any moda people about this, but it is now the second line I had this problem with. I purchased 5yds of one color and 3yds of another and so forth. My quilt is approx. 100"x100". so needed the fabric. Still want to make pillow cases.
Thank You

Suzy
We carried some of the fabrics from this line and didn't notice any problems with them. Which ones did you buy? Was it a problem with the printing, or the weave of the cloth?
Old 06-23-2011, 11:39 AM

Out of 8 different colors 5 had flaws. Some had noticeable flaws on the fronts which were white spots and some had visable lines going through them like a thread had been pulled. I do have the numbers of each piece from the selvages. I saw them as I was starching the fabric so I marked wherever they were with thread so I could work around those areas. It has surprised me because I have used there fabric for most of my projects, but will now be very cautious before spending that much money on moda for a while. The first time it happened I mentioned it to the quilt store and showed them the flaws in the fabric which I think was the migration line. they said they would talk to there supplier? I just wish Moda would be made aware of this.

Thank You

Suzy
Old 06-23-2011, 01:37 PM

THAT is fantastic news! Thanks for sharing
Old 06-23-2011, 01:37 PM

Thanks for the update.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:39 PM

Very good news indeed. Gives us an excuse to buy new fabric. As if we needed one!