Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Commissioned quilt..what a deal! >

Commissioned quilt..what a deal!

Commissioned quilt..what a deal!

Old 09-14-2013, 04:52 AM

and this is why most of us will not take on commissioned quilts - 'they' just don't get it......my joy comes from the look on my recipient's surprised faces as I hand over my gift to them....it's my gift of love, of time spent thinking of them while I'm creating for them. There is no better feeling than bringing a smile to another.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:56 AM

Made a Harley Davidson T-shirt quilt for my son, 90"x90"..needless to say, it contained 53 Harley shirts......along with his patches, etc..etc..... No amount of money could convince me to do another.........

I just went to his closet and helped myself but can you imagine what it would cost should one have to go to a Harley dealer and purchase the shirts.
He wanted me to do another because he so liked it and I told him he has the one & only done by me......
Old 09-14-2013, 06:10 AM

I was just asked by the wife of a coworker of my husband's (I just met this lady that day) if I would be willing to make T-shirt quilts for her 6! children. I politely declined saying that I do not make quilts on commission... Period! We did not even get around to discussing cost. I will only make quilts for charity, my family or friends as gifts. Added to this, I have never made a T-shirt quilt so a commission would not be the place to start practicing!
Old 09-14-2013, 06:27 AM

The fact the class was $60, should have been a tip-off. If it was that easy a project, the class would have been free!
Old 09-14-2013, 07:06 AM

Good for you some try to con us, if she had seen the Tee quilt then she must have seen some other prices.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:59 AM

Peckish, love it. I got burned once making maternity dresses for a good friend's daughter. Would NEVER make a quilt for anyone for $. I make baby blankets for friends and coworkers and quilts/lap quilts for family. They all know what goes into quilt making so they all are very appreciative.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:10 AM

At least she tried to understand pricing based on the cost of a class. Had she taken the class, though, she would have fully understood the $400 price tag!
Old 09-14-2013, 09:18 AM

Gasp! People aren't even THINKING! I mean, come on, even if you're not a crafter, you know things take time. Suppose she thought a twin bed quilt might take you 2 work days--let's say 15 hours. (It would take me 15 years, but that's me.) Wouldn't you think someone would say, "Okay, she's experienced, this is a one-of-a-kind quilt, probably a keepsake...um...how about $20 an hour" (again, assuming she knows nothing)...so she should get at least $300." And of course we all know that's a low-ball figure.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:42 AM

I was asked by a coworker for a 2 twin quilts for her daughters dorm room. She did purchase the first one and backed out of the second. I revised the second one for a very dear friend who insisted on paying for it (she knew the true value) so when completed, I asked her for a $1 - hadn't told her the quilt was finished - she handed it to me no questions asked and I handed her the quilt - it was more important to me for her to have it from my heart than the price of fabrics/time. We both cried, but our memories are 'priceless", hers when she uses it, mine for making her smile every day. I will not do commissioned quilts anytime - first and only one!
Old 09-14-2013, 01:57 PM

Another tee shirt quilt story...a recent acquaintance learned I made quilts and she cornered me at a function...She wanted a tee shirt quilt. In my own mind I was recoiling with the idea of doing one of those things, and without hesitation I told here they were off-the-wall expensive. She asked how much? and I didn't bat an eye when I told her they start at $450! She reminded me of Wiley Coyote, the way she took off away from me!!