Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Complaint About Me >

Complaint About Me

Complaint About Me

Old 10-22-2010, 10:20 AM

I am so sorry you are having problems. I have a Pfaff Creative 4.0 and with the 1/4 foot it sews beautifully. I know having a machine that doesn't cooperate is frustrating.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:56 AM

gaigai

Check to see if there are dust bunnies amongst your feed dogs. sometimes the least little bit of lint can cause that problem. I would also check the bobbin case for lint because it makes a big difference. Some fabrics such as flannel, and certain threads can create problems for the feed dogs and for the bobbin area. That could make the feed dogs act up. I have brothers and other brand machines that I use, and some are touchier than others.

good Luck

Suzy
Old 10-23-2010, 08:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Suzy
gaigai
Check to see if there are dust bunnies amongst your feed dogs. sometimes the least little bit of lint can cause that problem. I would also check the bobbin case for lint because it makes a big difference. Some fabrics such as flannel, and certain threads can create problems for the feed dogs and for the bobbin area. That could make the feed dogs act up. I have brothers and other brand machines that I use, and some are touchier than others.Suzy

Thanks, Suzy, I'll do that, but since the machine is BRAND new, and has been doing it from the beginning, I'm not hopeful. I now know just how spoiled I've been by Janome and Elna.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai
Originally Posted by Suzy
gaigai
Check to see if there are dust bunnies amongst your feed dogs. sometimes the least little bit of lint can cause that problem. I would also check the bobbin case for lint because it makes a big difference. Some fabrics such as flannel, and certain threads can create problems for the feed dogs and for the bobbin area. That could make the feed dogs act up. I have brothers and other brand machines that I use, and some are touchier than others.Suzy

Thanks, Suzy, I'll do that, but since the machine is BRAND new, and has been doing it from the beginning, I'm not hopeful. I now know just how spoiled I've been by Janome and Elna.
I love my Janome, but it is very sensitive to dust in the bobbin case and the feed dogs. Just vacuuming will clear the problem. But in the case of a new machine, it is probably something else.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:39 AM
Administrator

i don't know why you think there's anything wrong with you.

yours is a stubbornly free spirit, light years ahead of its time.

straight-shmaight. it's all art, baybeeeee. ;-)
Old 10-23-2010, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by mhansen6
There are 1/4 inch feet that have a guide blade that works wonderfully. I think most manufacturers make them. I wouldn't be without it now. Sure makes sewing a straight line easier.
Yeah, but I just bought a Brother, and the $15.00 foot is NOT 1/4 inch. It is more like 6/16ths's, a BIG difference. Plus, I have NEVER had a problem sewing a straight seam. This machine will NOT give me a straight seam. I've always been able to sew up to a pin, stop with needle down, pull the pin & then continue without any problems. On this machine, even if I stop with needle down, and don't continue until the needle is completely out, it will jog the fabric and give me a crooked seam. This is the SQ9000, which I bought until I could afford a better machine. But after this, I definitely will not even consider another Brother, no matter HOW top of the line. It is SO frustrating to see that ugly crooked line and have to go back and resew every freaking intersection. Arrgh!!
Yes you really do have to look out for some of those quilting feet with the flanges which are thin, they flare at the bottom and then lo and behold it is not 1/4 inch as planned. I use a vintage gauge presser foot, hard to find but sometimes on ebay, the flange can be set exactly where you want it and is rigid enough to do the job. I paid about $40.00 for mine, but it is worth it. I would contact Brother customer service about the weird crooked line, it shouldn't happen and they may have a fix for it.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by patdesign
Yes you really do have to look out for some of those quilting feet with the flanges which are thin, they flare at the bottom and then lo and behold it is not 1/4 inch as planned. I use a vintage gauge presser foot, hard to find but sometimes on ebay, the flange can be set exactly where you want it and is rigid enough to do the job. I paid about $40.00 for mine, but it is worth it. I would contact Brother customer service about the weird crooked line, it shouldn't happen and they may have a fix for it.
Thanks Pat, I think I will call Brother and see what the deal is. My machine is under warranty, and I can return it until the end of December, but I really would like to use it. Now, tell me what to enter in the search engine on ebay for that foot. I tried to use my Janome foot, but it wouldn't fit. I'll try anything at this point!! Thanks!
Old 10-23-2010, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by ktbb
staring at the needle or even at a foot close to the needle tends to result in crooked lines.....try marking the base of the machine a couple of inches ahead of your needle and use that as your guide for the edge of your fabric and see if it helps...If us use that as your primary check, you can spot check periodically to see that the edge of the fabric hear the needle is where you want it to be.

Think of driving down the road and focusing on a spot just ahead of your hood...you end up (usually) over compensating and the car moves back and forth a lot, even tho it may be small moves. If you focus on the road several yards ahead of the car, your turns are less jerky, the ride is smoother, and the path of the car is a straighter line.
My sister taught me this same thing years ago. Using the driving analogy she told me to do that when I was drawing a pencil line in art or cutting across fabric(no rotary cutters in those days) :lol:
Old 10-24-2010, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by patdesign
Thanks Pat, I think I will call Brother and see what the deal is. My machine is under warranty, and I can return it until the end of December, but I really would like to use it. Now, tell me what to enter in the search engine on ebay for that foot. I tried to use my Janome foot, but it wouldn't fit. I'll try anything at this point!! Thanks!
Go to ebay and search for Gauge presser Foot. When looking at the foot you should see a strange looking foot and several little metal bars that insert at the back of the foot and they determine the settings you can use, they are marked with lines, from there it is a matter of measuring from the center of the needle to the inside of the little guide bar, set it for the seam allowance you want and it will stay there until you release it. Last week there was one on a buy it now for $129., which is a little too much, as they ususally will close between $40 (low) and mid $70's (high). Occasionally you will see one for a high shank, or for a slant shank as they were made by singer and sold for different versions of their machines. I would ask the question of the seller if not clear. Most common is the low shank foot, but you should measure the height of the shank on your brother (to screw) to make sure.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:39 AM

I have a brother innovis 1250 which is a combo sewing and embroidery machine, it works great and I have been back to the dealer a couple of times with questions, and the back up on Brother on line is also VERY helpful. I use an old Singer 201 for piecing and quilting which is what I use my Gauge presser foot on, but my brother feet and the Singer ones are mostly interchangeable except that my Singer 201 is not a zig zag. I grew up sewing on a 201 and in my book, there is no more powerful machine until you go to industrial.