Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Compressed Air for Cleaning Machine

My canned air does not contain freon (freon contains CFC's and has been removed from this type of thing a long time ago). I never use this directly on a circuit board nor close enough to "freeze" anything. I guess it comes down to this. If you don't think you should use it...don't. I have had no issues, was told I could to clean under the feed dogs and clear my bobbin sensor, so I do.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    In my machine class, the teacher said to use the compressed air only in the direction AWAY from the motor so you don't blow itty bits into the machine.

The local sewing machine guy here said do not use canned air. He said on the new computerized machines all you are supposed to clean is the bobbin area and the dealer should clean the rest.

I use a pipe cleaner to swipe the bobbin area and underneath it. It picks up all the little dust bunnies. I try to do it at the start of every project and my machine has been acting much better since I started doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNY
    I've heard from a number of sources NOT to use the compressed air as it will push lint into the machine rather than pull it out. Never tried it, so I don't know whether it really does.
    I have heard the same thing

I think this might be coming down to HOW you are using the air and what type of machine you have. I don't use it anywhere except to clean out my bobbin casing and feed dog area under the needle plate (a pipe cleaner isn't going to get to the area that I need to reach). If my bobbin were a drop in I would use a different protocol because the design dictates a different approach.

Blog Entries
    WOW, thanks for all the info. I guess I will not be using it on my Brother CS6000i that I just purchased but I think I would still be safe to use it on my 45 year old Universal. My compressed air can says "no CFC" so I guess that means it has no freon in it.

The compressed air also leaves moisture that can rust the machine parts. I do use the compressed air to clean out my computer and dust my silk flowers ...

Blog Entries
    i bought the mini vac / attachments on ebay a few years ago..about $10 bucks plus shipping. i am sure a computer place sells them..

I bought a small vac from Walmart and also got a package of vacuum mini vac tools and I suck out my machine regularly. I'll be doing it this evening after I finish sewing for the day. It's been awhile since I did mine so I'm overdue...
    My friends all like coming to my house to sew since they can clean their machines too!

I used duct tape to attach a straw to an old vacuum wand, the straw allows you to get in very small spaces. Wish I could show you a picture but I do not have that ability.

Quote Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy
    I have also been warned against using canned air for the machine. There is a little vacuum you can use, but check around for the best price. I bought mine at a quilt shop and was dissapointed to see it later for a lot less. Check ebay and sometimes computer stores put them on sale.
    I have vacuum attachments, and would a little vacuum. As it is I have to attach to my regular large vacuum. I bought the attachments at a quilt show.
    What is the little vacuum?

I use the long small attachment that is clean the narrow
    places to clean mine. I have seen attachment made to
    clean sewwing machines in some catalogs.

Blog Entries
    I was also told not to use compressed air,it will blow lint and small thread into the works of the machine and cause damage. I use a q-tip to remove a lot of lint from the bobbin area.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brushandthimble
    Quote Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy
    I have also been warned against using canned air for the machine. There is a little vacuum you can use, but check around for the best price. I bought mine at a quilt shop and was dissapointed to see it later for a lot less. Check ebay and sometimes computer stores put them on sale.
    I have vacuum attachments, and would a little vacuum. As it is I have to attach to my regular large vacuum. I bought the attachments at a quilt show.
    What is the little vacuum?
    http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...vacuum+tank.do

Darice makes one ($15.00) and there is one that runs off the USB post of your computer..for keyboards.

Blog Entries
    Compressed Air is a bad idea. I have had a lot of training from Bernina Tec. and they warned us many times not to use c/a

If you sew ever day pop the plate and use a soft brush it only take a few seconds to keep lint from building up.
    Traditional

I bought my small handheld vacuum at Walmart. Hubby has tried to use it several times and I said no no no! Get your own! lol

Some Walmarts also sells the small attachments in the hardware department for about $8 or so. I got mine from a sewing machine shop in town but it didn't fit my regular vacuum and the miserable place would not take it back so I bought a handheld vac which does work and even though it ended up costing me a lot more in the end, I know it will save me a lot since I can clean it regularly...

me too
    Quote Originally Posted by Janie Q
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
    That is what my sewing machine dealer told me to use. I'm also to use it for cleaning the bobin case. Then I can use an alcohol wipe to finish wiping out the bobin case.
    I'm confused.
    Which do you use? The vacuum or the spray air?
    I've been thinking of buying a small vac for my machine but I have a couple cans of the air sitting in my stash room. lol
    Oh right after I hit "send" I see 2 other posts saying the canned air is bad. OK. Thanks, Ill use them for my pc only.
    I took classes at my Janome dealer and I was instructed and shown to use canned air to clean my machine and bobin case. I trust they know what they are talking bout in regards to my machine- they have been in business many years.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
    That is what my sewing machine dealer told me to use. I'm also to use it for cleaning the bobin case. Then I can use an alcohol wipe to finish wiping out the bobin case.
    I'm confused.
    Which do you use? The vacuum or the spray air?
    I've been thinking of buying a small vac for my machine but I have a couple cans of the air sitting in my stash room. lol
    Oh right after I hit "send" I see 2 other posts saying the canned air is bad. OK. Thanks, Ill use them for my pc only.
    I took classes at my Janome dealer and I was instructed and shown to use canned air to clean my machine and bobin case. I trust they know what they are talking bout in regards to my machine- they have been in business many years.
    Janie, what part of Iowa are you from and who is your Janome dealer?

My 2cents would be to ask your dealer that tells you to use canned air to take you to their repair area and show you what canned air they use for repairs. My experience bets that you will not see any canned air. If you do, maybe that should be a warning.

I also would not base usage on what schools or government offices or any other publicly financed business uses...they have an unlimited supply of YOUR tax dollars to buy replacement machines whenever necessary (and even when not necessary) so using whatever is easiest is going to be their choice.

Blog Entries
    My Bernina dealer told me to NEVER used compressed air on a sewing machine. He said it will push lint further into the body of the machine. Instead he suggested to buy a vacumn cleaner adaptor, turn down the suction power and vacumn the lint from the machine. I have done this to my machine once a week. My son in law even uses it on my computer when he is doing maintence on it.

Junior Member QuiltingWithMissy's Avatar
    I used in on my machines. Here is how I see it. The computer has a lot of parts that can't take water. So if it is good enough for my computer then it is good enough for my machine.

It is best to vaccum out with a small attachment that fits on the vac hose, as air drives lint into places you can't reach. Use small brush to clean bobbin & feed dog areas.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNY
    I've heard from a number of sources NOT to use the compressed air as it will push lint into the machine rather than pull it out. Never tried it, so I don't know whether it really does.
    Right! It does push lint into the machine. You can buy vacuum attachments on Clothilde made to suck the yuck out of small places, like sewing machines and computer fans.

I've been using compressed air for years in between servicing.
    The repair man that regularly cleans and services my machines has commented that he wishes that all of his customers maintained their machines as well. :lol:

I have heard not to use it also, because of the thing with packing it into the machine.

I do use it everytime I clean my machine, but I have it fully open on the top and bottom and the lint blows out of it not into it.

Works great. I take my machine in to get cleaned annually and my sewing machine expert has never said a word that there was lint packed in my machine.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast