Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Compressed Air for Cleaning Machine

That's exactly what I use!! My sister is a seamtress and she used it when working on my machine once. I blew the dust out of my machine everytime I use it.

That's exactly what I use!! My sister is a seamtress and she used it when working on my machine once. I blew the dust out of my machine everytime I use it.

I was told the reason not to use the canned air is because there is the propellent in the can that can rust the gears, besides pushing the lint in further. I was telling this to my DH, after talking to some of our guild members about, and he went out, and bought me an air compressor. The guy at the story thought we were going to pressure wash the house.LOL when we told him what it how I was going to use it. The canned air is also flammable of course you turn off your machine, but it could still be plugged in? Never!

Have only used it once, but I won't use it again.

i am one that was told not to use the spray

I love my little mini-vac attachments for cleaning around the machines and sucking up what I have brushed out. The little crevice tool reaches places that sometimes the brush misses. Don't think I would chance using compressed air.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I use it pretty often. My technician says to blow out the bobbin area every time you sew for very long.
    I think it is a great product! I was surprised how much lint fabric gives off until I observed it around my featherweight.
    Mariah

I have had one of the attachments that fit on your regular vacuum for years. Have used it on my home machines and industrial with good results. It also works on the keyboard of your computer and many other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Holiday
    Chotilde has an attachment that goes on vacuum that works great.
    Here's the link:
    http://www.clotilde.com/list.html?cr...hment&x=11&y=9

You definitely don't want to blow lint deeper into your machine.
    Correct. Once you get that lint and threads and dust pushed way down into the machine or laptop or whatever, you will have a much more difficult time getting that accumulation out of it. That is how the repair people stay in business. Even the vacumm will not be able to get it out after building up down in the machine. It is really just 'common sense'!

I think I will continue to clean mine out with a small artists brush with a drop of sewing machine oil on it. This has worked very well for me. I am leery of the canned air! :D

Thank you so much for info on Compressed Air. I had been thinking about buying a can, but won't now after hearing all the negatives. Not worth taking the chance.

I have use compressed air since it first came out. I use it in short spirts and follow up with my brushes and on occasion, q-tips. Have never had a problem. I can often get the lint that's sruck back in the corners that the brushes don't reach. Usually it's just enuf to dislodge a stubborn wad.

Blog Entries
    I have used the compressed air, but I also have the mini vac. Got mine at Target a few years ago. Also use both on my pc. Haven't asked my fix-it man. Never think of it.

I don't use canned air but I bought a small air compressor to blow out the bobbin area of my longarm machine and I also use it to blow out the bobbin area of my domestic machines. I know of other longarmers that do the same thing..my compressor has already paid for itself if you compare the price of canned air. Ive been doing it for nearly 7 yrs and have never had any problems as a result of using it.

I worked for 13 years as a service technician. One of the things I repaired was sewing machines. We used an air compressor with a nozzle to monitor pressure, to clean out most machines. For the hook area, when there was thread and lint massed up in there I used a very sharp pencil. The graphite helped to lubricate it and the lead was sharp enough to get out the lint, thread, etc. while being soft enough to break before it would scratch.
    Today, I am retired and use canned air on my own machine and on others that I will work on for friends.
    Just use common sense and you will not have any problems using it. I have never had it cause the lint to get stuck tighter.

i use canned air, but i'm careful not to shake it or it spits moisture. i also make sure that it is not pointed into the machine. i do use my mini attachments for my vacuum too to keep my machines clean. FYI my Dh told me that he's run a keyboard under water that someone spilled coke on. the water won't hurt it but the pop will stick it up but good. go figure!

I use air to clean the machine, then wipe it down. It usually blows the lint in my face, lol.

I just used it today. I know not to use it the computor but didn't know about my machine.
    where do you get the mini vacumes? i might get one of those, to use instead.

I use the compressed air for every thing from sewing macines too computers to musical instruments to whatever is dusty. You have to be careful and not hold the air button down for a long period because the moisture will start too come out of the can and the can will get very cold and that moisture(although it has never caused me a problem) could cause things not too work right especially the more expensive sewing machines.

Blog Entries
    This is another of those topics where you have to do what you think is best. For me, I can't afford to take a chance.

Blog Entries
    My dealer said not to use compressed air since it will blow the fibers deeper into the machine, especially if you have one with electronics (like I do)....not a good idea.

I bought the little vacuum attachment and hook it to a regular vacuum with a hose - works great - makes it look brand new inside.

I also use a folded pipe cleaner to clean around the bobbin area inbetween full cleanings.

When I turned in my old machine for this new one, he said he's never seen such a clean machine. ( I wish my house was this clean :-)

Blog Entries
    check your machine dealer - that's where I found mine. But they also sell vacuums and such. I've also seen the attachment sets online - I think Clotilde or maybe Nancy's Notions.

Relatively inexpensive and very well worth it.

Call the sewing machine repair man and ask them. They deal with all our mistakes!!!!

I've been told by more than one dealer not to ever use compressed air. I have my dream machine so I wouldn't dare venture to even try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bevaross22
    I worked for 13 years as a service technician. One of the things I repaired was sewing machines. We used an air compressor with a nozzle to monitor pressure, to clean out most machines. For the hook area, when there was thread and lint massed up in there I used a very sharp pencil. The graphite helped to lubricate it and the lead was sharp enough to get out the lint, thread, etc. while being soft enough to break before it would scratch.
    Today, I am retired and use canned air on my own machine and on others that I will work on for friends.
    Just use common sense and you will not have any problems using it. I have never had it cause the lint to get stuck tighter.
    Isn't it true that we need to change the needle and oil the machine after so many hours of use? Could you suggest some ideas about how to maintain our machines better. I am sure you have seen some things that could have been avoided by proper care .

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast