Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Compressed Air for Cleaning Machine >

Compressed Air for Cleaning Machine

Compressed Air for Cleaning Machine

Old 09-12-2010, 04:38 AM

I bought my small handheld vacuum at Walmart. Hubby has tried to use it several times and I said no no no! Get your own! lol

Some Walmarts also sells the small attachments in the hardware department for about $8 or so. I got mine from a sewing machine shop in town but it didn't fit my regular vacuum and the miserable place would not take it back so I bought a handheld vac which does work and even though it ended up costing me a lot more in the end, I know it will save me a lot since I can clean it regularly...
Old 09-12-2010, 05:14 AM

me too
Originally Posted by Janie Q
Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
That is what my sewing machine dealer told me to use. I'm also to use it for cleaning the bobin case. Then I can use an alcohol wipe to finish wiping out the bobin case.
I'm confused.
Which do you use? The vacuum or the spray air?
I've been thinking of buying a small vac for my machine but I have a couple cans of the air sitting in my stash room. lol
Oh right after I hit "send" I see 2 other posts saying the canned air is bad. OK. Thanks, Ill use them for my pc only.
I took classes at my Janome dealer and I was instructed and shown to use canned air to clean my machine and bobin case. I trust they know what they are talking bout in regards to my machine- they have been in business many years.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
That is what my sewing machine dealer told me to use. I'm also to use it for cleaning the bobin case. Then I can use an alcohol wipe to finish wiping out the bobin case.
I'm confused.
Which do you use? The vacuum or the spray air?
I've been thinking of buying a small vac for my machine but I have a couple cans of the air sitting in my stash room. lol
Oh right after I hit "send" I see 2 other posts saying the canned air is bad. OK. Thanks, Ill use them for my pc only.
I took classes at my Janome dealer and I was instructed and shown to use canned air to clean my machine and bobin case. I trust they know what they are talking bout in regards to my machine- they have been in business many years.
Janie, what part of Iowa are you from and who is your Janome dealer?
Old 09-12-2010, 06:11 AM

My 2cents would be to ask your dealer that tells you to use canned air to take you to their repair area and show you what canned air they use for repairs. My experience bets that you will not see any canned air. If you do, maybe that should be a warning.

I also would not base usage on what schools or government offices or any other publicly financed business uses...they have an unlimited supply of YOUR tax dollars to buy replacement machines whenever necessary (and even when not necessary) so using whatever is easiest is going to be their choice.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:15 AM

My Bernina dealer told me to NEVER used compressed air on a sewing machine. He said it will push lint further into the body of the machine. Instead he suggested to buy a vacumn cleaner adaptor, turn down the suction power and vacumn the lint from the machine. I have done this to my machine once a week. My son in law even uses it on my computer when he is doing maintence on it.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:20 AM

I used in on my machines. Here is how I see it. The computer has a lot of parts that can't take water. So if it is good enough for my computer then it is good enough for my machine.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:30 AM

It is best to vaccum out with a small attachment that fits on the vac hose, as air drives lint into places you can't reach. Use small brush to clean bobbin & feed dog areas.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by IrishNY
I've heard from a number of sources NOT to use the compressed air as it will push lint into the machine rather than pull it out. Never tried it, so I don't know whether it really does.
Right! It does push lint into the machine. You can buy vacuum attachments on Clothilde made to suck the yuck out of small places, like sewing machines and computer fans.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:02 AM

I've been using compressed air for years in between servicing.
The repair man that regularly cleans and services my machines has commented that he wishes that all of his customers maintained their machines as well. :lol:
Old 09-12-2010, 07:06 AM

I have heard not to use it also, because of the thing with packing it into the machine.

I do use it everytime I clean my machine, but I have it fully open on the top and bottom and the lint blows out of it not into it.

Works great. I take my machine in to get cleaned annually and my sewing machine expert has never said a word that there was lint packed in my machine.