Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
computerized machine or not? >

computerized machine or not?

computerized machine or not?

Old 05-15-2010, 09:59 AM

I just started quilting and my old machine quit, so I need a new one and am unsure if a computerized machine is the way to go. Any help would be helpful
Thanks
Old 05-15-2010, 10:07 AM

It all depends on your budget, how much you wish to spend, and what all you want the machine to be able to do. Do you want a new machine or used? Shop around with different dealers, models, etc. test drive them and decide what you like best, and which features appeal to you. Then make your decision. Personally, I really like the older machines, as there is not nearly as much to go wrong with them.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ireland. I have a Pfaff straight sticch so no help to you.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

I loved my Brother and Janome has some great machines. I have a Pfaff now ( so does my son) and love it. I started on a lower end Brother and that baby can sew. I say try some out and find one that feels right to you. Hello and welcome from SW Iowa. Glad to have you here.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:05 AM

I have two Brother machines both with computers. I have never had problems with either of them. Brother has a wide price range and mos dealers have used machines also. I do know that there is quite a good Brother incentive sale going on here right now and I bet it is all across the country. Check it out. I have also had Janome machines and they are quite good. I still have a Janome 4800 that has never given me a lick of trouble. It's my back-up machine now.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:14 AM
Google Goddess

I have computerized ones and love them.

I would suggest going to different dealers and trying them out.

Buy what you can afford!

Have fun!
Old 05-15-2010, 01:34 PM

Not much different than running the microwaves.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:46 PM

Hmmm really good question.

When I bought my really good machine - it contained more features than I really needed. Since that time, my use of it has changed (from sewing clothes, into quilting) and I have used more of those features now. (Even today - 20 years on - I still don't use all it's features).

If I was buying again I would sit down and work out what exactly I wanted the machine to do (I'd want dual purpose). So things like; straight stitch, zig-zag, memory button hole, stitch regulator, walking foot, 1/4" foot, etc. Then I would check out what modules are out there that would suit my requirements.

I prefer the more "manual" type models rather than computerized. No logical reason - they just seem more stable.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:14 PM

I have a Janome 8077...no great shakes, but it is computerized, does straight, zigzag, overcast, buttonholes...love it...

However. I use my vintage machines more...my Singer treadle, Singer 201-2, and my Kenmore 158.840... I really only use the Janome for buttonholes...
Old 05-15-2010, 02:14 PM

I use to have an electronic (in otherwords - manual). I absolutely love the freedom I have with it. Very easy to manipulate. Cannot explain to the full extent the difference, maybe like a Mercedes to a Toyota. Has made all the difference in the world!! :D