Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Cone thread from connecting thread

Cone thread from connecting thread

Have any of you used the cone thread from Connecting threads. It's such a great price. Any opinions would be great.

I haven't used the polyester thread but I have used the cotton and I like it. The cotton thread does leave lint build up in your sewing machine. I only use the cotton for fmq.

Their cotton thread is good quality but a bit on the thick side.

I use it for all my piecing, and on my longarm. Love the stuff. Love the price.
    Tenacity is more than endurance. It is endurance combined with the absolute certainty that what we are looking for is going to transpire. -Oswald Chambers

I've been using the Connecting Threads Cotton for FMQ and piecing, and am kind on the fence about it. On the one hand, it is a nice strong thread and I experience very little breakage. On the other hand, I have to completely remove the bobbin assembly and brush out the lint after every 1 or 2 bobbins full of thread, which is kind of a pain. Previously, I used Coats & Clark which wasn't quite as strong, but it wasn't as lint-y. Of the two, I prefer the Connecting threads because I'd rather have stronger thread, but I will probably try a different thread the next time I am running low to see if I can find something better.

The Essential Pro on the cone is poly 70wt. It's thinner then the Essential cotton which is 50 wt 3 ply. Essential cotton is too thick for me for piecing and very linty. I don't use it anymore. The Pro isn't as smooth as some of the other brands but I have used it for fmq without a problem.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I use CT cotton thread almost exclusively for piecing and long arm quilting. I really like it, and yes, it's linty, but that just means I clean out around the tension and bobbin regularly.
    A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!

Blog Entries
    i have never understood all the comments about CT thread being linty.
    i don't find it to leave any more shmutz than any of the other - waaaay more expensive - brands of thread.
    in fact, it leaves a lot less than some of the pricier brands i've tried.
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

for Newsletter or Digest issues, please contact [email protected]

To contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community, you may email [email protected]

I also am amazed at the comments about cotton thread being "linty". All cotton thread is linty because it is cotton. I know that I take the faceplate off of my machine and brush it out every two or three bobbins full of thread I use. Wow! I like CT thread just fine. I order it from time to time. I personally prefer three ply thread for piecing because of the strength in the seams.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
    i have never understood all the comments about CT thread being linty.
    i don't find it to leave any more shmutz than any of the other - waaaay more expensive - brands of thread.
    in fact, it leaves a lot less than some of the pricier brands i've tried.
    i totally agree, some much more expensive ( name brand) threads create a lot more lint than the Connecting Threads brand. I’ve been using Connecting Threads threads for more than 10 years- Piecing and on my longarm
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I use the cotton all the time and I love it!
    Who needs therapy? I quilt!

Yes, I like connecting thread I have purchased many of their sets of color threads I have only had good experiences.
    Vontina Collick

"If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward" -Dr. Martin L. King, Jr.

I love their poly cones! I use it for piecing, and quilting on my long arm. Wish it came in more colors.

I used Connecting Threads cone thread almost exclusively when I started quilting on my frame. Then I used Aurifil, and then the new Craftsy Thread ...all of which are cone threads. After having tension problems on my last two quilts I switched back to Connecting Threads and the problems disappeared. Of course it is more linty as others have said, but I'll trade having to clean the lint out a couple of times as opposed to tension problems any day.

I use all Connecting Threads threads.....spools, cones and polyester cones. True their cotton threads are linty but at that price I'll just clean my bobbin area more often. Their polyester threads rarely break on me. I use these only on my quilt machine so can't say how they work for DSM machines. I have most all their colors too. Like that they have so many colors to choose from,.............hate that they discontinue colors only to bring them back under a different name but same code number. I made a chart by color name and code number using Excel to keep track how many spools/cones I have at any given time so when they have their sales on threads I can go to my chart and see if I need to order any especially the ones I use the most.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

I purchased 3 cones of cotton thread from Connecting Threads and must be the only person in the country that hated and threw it away. All 3 cones broke constantly. Just trying to unwrap it to thread my machine would cause it to break. They were all rotten.

Quote Originally Posted by sewn3w View Post
    I purchased 3 cones of cotton thread from Connecting Threads and must be the only person in the country that hated and threw it away. All 3 cones broke constantly. Just trying to unwrap it to thread my machine would cause it to break. They were all rotten.
    Most of my thread is from Connecting Threads. sewn3w, you should have contacted customer service & I'm sure they would have replaced your bad cones. They have a terrific customer service department & would have wanted to know about the problem cones that you received so they didn't send any more out to other customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tudey View Post
    I use the cotton all the time and I love it!
    Me too, for several years.
    True self-care is not salt baths and chocolate cake, it is making the choice to build a life you donít need to regularly escape from. ~Brianna Wiest

I like it but twice my orders came with ends of spools broken off.. They need better packaging.

I use the poly cones on almost all my quilts I longarm and I use it in my sewing machines. I love it and I wish they had lots more colors.

Blog Entries
    I have purchased a couple of cones in a neutral color for piecing...I have to adjust my quarter-inch and it is a bit linty but all in all, great thread.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I have used a complete spool of Aurifil thread in top and bobbin and the lint build up was scarce. A few hours of Essential and I have to clean the lint away. I have a few spools of the Essential but I know if I use it I'll have to clean the machine a lot.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I have a lot of their thread, both the cotton and the poly. I use the poly Essential Pro cones on my long arm and use the cotton to piece. The cotton does have lint but for the price I'll clean out my bobbin area.
    https://quiltdasher.blogspot.com

I like to make lists. I also like to leave them laying on my sewing table and then guess what's on the list while at the fabric store. Fun game.

I have tried 3 cones of cotton thread— found it to be too “linty” for me (great price though). Guess you get what you pay for. I will go back to Guterman, Superior or Aurifil.

My Nolting longarm loves the Essentials Pro from CT. The only complaint I have with it is that the colors are limited and they are often out of basic colors. I don't know how long I waited for white to come into stock, but it was l-o-n-g wait.
    "The great doing of little things makes the great life." Eugena Price