Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cones of Threads >

Cones of Threads

Cones of Threads

Old 04-14-2021, 03:27 AM

I use the pony tail holders, except I bring the thread down to the base of the cone and then put the band on, it works for me.
Old 04-14-2021, 03:49 AM

I bought some of the heavy cardboard decorative boxes at Joann and keep my colors in boxes so I don't have to look through everything to find the right color. I have used blue painters tape and the netting for my spools. The boxes look nice in my sewing room.
Old 04-14-2021, 03:50 AM

As a longarm quilter I use the large 6,000 yard cones of quilting thread. I keep these on the large thread holders (wooden pegs) placed on top of wooden bookcases along a wall in my quilting studio. I have positioned tape on the bookcases in front of the legs of the thread holders to keep them from slipping off onto the floor. I have placed very thin plastic cut from dry cleaning bags just behind the thread holders and draped over the top and down the front to keep dust of the thread. I can easily see the colors of each cone thru the plastic. For my extra cones that are still in their plastic bags, I keep on the shelfs below. I have done this for the last 20 years, works very well for me, and I find that the thread has never faded from the artificial light (basement quilting studio).
Old 04-14-2021, 05:39 AM

Look in the first aid section of your pharmacy and get the knit tubing that goes over a bandaged finger. Cut off a section and stretch it over the cone. It works well and can be left on during sewing to keep the thread from back lashing, etc.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:37 AM

I was wondering how to tame my bobbins, especially metallic thread, so I googled it. Thought I'd share the dollar store hair bands pic.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:15 AM

I use the yard sale type stickers and stick them to the ends of the thread spool.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:01 AM

Aashley -- that's the type I wanted! They only had small like those for the bobbins. I think the large ones can be twisted on to the less-than-half cones better than the regular elastics, which are great at full but won't get smaller easily.

But thanks all for the ideas! I plan on going to the Goodwill today to look at those bamboo cutlery trays -- I think one would be perfect for the Aurifil.

Don't think I'm going to be able to find those notches reliably/easily. Since I bought the elastics, for now maybe I'll try some that way and some with blue tape to do a comparison. I like the idea of simply taping it to the base, don't know why I didn't just stop there instead of mentally putting it inside.

Yesterday at my Tuesday group I was given a stash clearing UFO that is just gorgeous and I once again, I got distracted by fabric (sing to the tune of Blinded by Science0.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:03 PM

Ashley has the kind that I get, at the dollar store.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:25 AM

I keep spools on shallow shelves on the wall...but l'm in basement and lights are only on while l'm in the room sewing. A large medicine cabinet (bathroom style) would be perfect with doors on in a sunny area. I arrange spools by colour.